You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error selecting objects in Wireframe view mode

Personally, I consider this a bug in Affinity 2.0 in wireframe view mode - selecting objects on the page. In the Affinity 1.0 version, in this mode, we only see outlines and you can select objects without touching the outlines. It's great if there is an object hidden somewhere under other objects on the page, in this preview you can easily see and select it.

However, in Affinity 2.0 this wireframe mode has added the option to color objects and preview bitmaps (which is cool) but unfortunately you can't select objects by moving the mouse anymore because when you click on a colored object it is selected. It is enough to remove this inconvenience - i.e. clicking in this fill preview mode should not select the object, but only by clicking the outline or selecting the area with objects with the mouse.

How it works e.g. in Affinity 1 or CorelDraw also in wireframe view mode. If this is not fixed then what was the purpose of this mode in Affinity 2.0?

In Vectorstyler, this also works correctly in Outline Preview mode.

Isn't this configurable in the menu View/View mode/Diagram/ picking then "Contour" instead of "X-rays"?. Seems x-rays is  this new mode they made default, but  the other mode did not disappear. Kind of an addition and making the new one default, if I'm not wrong.

Sorry if those are not the names in English, I have it in Spanish. Also, sorry if this has disappeared in final 2.0.3, I yet only have 2.0.3 beta, but probably is yet the same.

wireframe.png.4cd7124299d3bea45d9f10c42b73f9ac.png

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Note: I am not seeing right now a way to add an icon (the one you use keeps defaulting to x-ray mode) to use Contour mode, instead.  But I have been able to set ctrl+shift+W (or whatever you prefer) in preferences/shortcuts to quickly switch to this mode. To make it practical.

The nice thing tho,  is that if you hit your key shortcut once, it remains as the default in the toolbar icon during that session. So, u need only to hit ctrl+shift+w (or whatever the shortcut) once per session, the first time. Any other times u click that icon will activate the last mode you used during this session, until you exit the app. It does not remember it after restart.

While your own custom shortcut will always trigger contour, and no need for more, there is a default shortcut they made, that if I don't remember badly, is the same we  used to use in Illustrator (for me it has been a while...) , ctrl+y (or my memory goes back to Freehand times, who knows). They included this one, which has the nice behavior that it remembers the last view style that you used for the wireframe mode, even after restart. So, if in a project you are using more x-ray, even between sessions it will use the last u  used, by hitting ctrl+y. In your case, always  that you hit ctrl+y you will get contour, as that's what you prefer. It's now a case of if u prefer more the old ctrl+y, or creating a shortcut that  you like more.

Edit: Yep, a preference to set 'contour' as an optional default (even if they leave the pretty one for the masses as initial default) for the wireframe icon in the app preferences would be  ideal. But till then, you can keep using your workflow that you had,  unless I understood badly something of what you said.

Edit 2 : And I agree about the usefulness of the wireframe mode allowing the behavior that you describe: it has been so since the beginning of times with vector apps, and within reason.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

That's right, I mean Vireframe view mode - X-Ray. There should also be a preview of bitmaps in gray or light color, but without the ability to click on the color or bitmap. And it would be perfect.

Really, no one from Serif has worked in CorelDraw, (Vectorstyler :) and other graphics programs before, for example?