You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[THAI] Affinity Photo 2: Issue with some fonts

Raksit P

hello,

I'm using Affinity Photo 2. There is a problem with some fonts not working properly with accent/vowel position. The second use alway sticks to its first position. (I'm not sure how to explain it, I attach that video for you) *important* happened with some fonts but my majority of fonts won't work including Google Font (used in the video) "Noto Sans Thai". Could you look into it?

Details:
OS version: Windows 11 v22H2 Build 22621.963
Affinity: Affinity Photo 2 2.0.3
Date: December 21st, 2023
Font: Noto Sans Thai (not work)Prompt (worked)Kanit (not work)

P.S. already config Typography script to Thai

Edited: Upload video in MP4 file

Edited by Raksit P
Edited: Upload video in MP4 file

UPDATE - Dec 21st, 2022 - 2:45 AM UTC

I just trying to fix it by myself with a clean install OS to find this issue.
(due I've installed too many environment programs such as Docker, NodeJS, etc...)

This issue did not occur in earlier versions. (v2.0.0) That might be the reason why I do not notice this issue from previous version.

P.S. I'm requesting a refund because you extended the promotion sale. I'm going to buy the Universal bundle. Not related to this bug.

Edited by Raksit P
clearer text

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @Raksit P,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & thanks for your report. Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm that unfortunately these Thai fonts aren't fully supported in Affinity currently, as I understand these fonts use a different type of 'font table' that is not compatible with the Affinity text engine at this time, our apologies.

This is something that has been raised on the forums previously and is something that our team hope to improve in the future - however due to the large overhaul of changes this would require for our text engine, we have no timescale for this at this time.

I hope this clears things up.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 1/23/2023 at 6:56 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Raksit P,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & thanks for your report. Our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm that unfortunately these Thai fonts aren't fully supported in Affinity currently, as I understand these fonts use a different type of 'font table' that is not compatible with the Affinity text engine at this time, our apologies.

This is something that has been raised on the forums previously and is something that our team hope to improve in the future - however due to the large overhaul of changes this would require for our text engine, we have no timescale for this at this time.

Is there any workaround? I don't have V1 license for Mac but V2 is completely unusable to my workflow due to Thai text issue.

4 hours ago, cpoon said:

Is there any workaround? I don't have V1 license for Mac but V2 is completely unusable to my workflow due to Thai text issue.

Hello @cpoon,

I've rollback the version (not affiliated with V1 or V2) to 2.0.0 because it happened after version 2.0.3 had been released, I hope this will help.

Edited by Raksit P
Mention @cpoon

On 1/23/2023 at 6:56 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Raksit P,

On 12/21/2022 at 9:47 AM, Raksit P said:

UPDATE - Dec 21st, 2022 - 2:45 AM UTC

I just trying to fix it by myself with a clean install OS to find this issue.
(due I've installed too many environment programs such as Docker, NodeJS, etc...)

This issue did not occur in earlier versions. (v2.0.0) That might be the reason why I do not notice this issue from previous version.

P.S. I'm requesting a refund because you extended the promotion sale. I'm going to buy the Universal bundle. Not related to this bug.

Hello @Dan C,

Thanks for the response. I understand you guys have other major tasks after the release of version 2, With the latest minor patch update Resulting in some Thai fonts being unavailable to use; Users need to roll back to an older version. I hope this issue will be fixed in the future 😊

• Staff
On 1/26/2023 at 7:50 AM, Raksit P said:

With the latest minor patch update Resulting in some Thai fonts being unavailable to use; Users need to roll back to an older version

My sincerest apologies, I cannot explain why but I missed the second post in this thread when initially responding, my apologies for this! :$

As far as I'm aware, no specific changes have been made between 2.0.0 and 2.0.3 that would affect this, as mentioned above we don't officially support Thai fonts at this time, so it's certainly interesting to see that the same issue did not occur in 2.0.0...

I'm going to be performing some further tests with the font files provided such that I can log this with our developers - as I'm not personally familiar with the Thai language, are you able to please provide some text here that I can copy and paste into Affinity, that shows this issue?

Many thanks :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

19 minutes ago, Dan C said:

My sincerest apologies, I cannot explain why but I missed the second post in this thread when initially responding, my apologies for this! :$

As far as I'm aware, no specific changes have been made between 2.0.0 and 2.0.3 that would affect this, as mentioned above we don't officially support Thai fonts at this time, so it's certainly interesting to see that the same issue did not occur in 2.0.0...

I'm going to be performing some further tests with the font files provided such that I can log this with our developers - as I'm not personally familiar with the Thai language, are you able to please provide some text here that I can copy and paste into Affinity, that shows this issue?

Many thanks :)

Please test with following words

• วิญญู

• สวัสดิ์

• พันธุ์

image.thumb.png.86fdf4d6cc570ba31c5f028a57da8c1c.png

These are using "Kanit" font, same one in original post. Left side of image is how it should be when working as expected

Please note that this issue with text engine is affected Designer and Publisher as well.

Edited by cpoon
Add more information

• Staff

Apologies for the delay - just to confirm I have replicated this issue and logged it with our developers for further investigation. 

Many thanks for your report :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Tiva said:

Can confirm the problem happened after 2.0.3 but not with 2.0.0 version. Here for folks with Windows. Photo 2 (2.0.0) and Designer (2.0.0)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

You might want to try the 2.1 beta to see if that works better for you. I think Serif has done some work on this issue there. It's still only for testing and experimentation, and not recommended for production use, but it would at least allow you to confirm whether it's still an issue in the new code. Note: 2.0 will not open documents you've saved in 2.1.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

I'm certainly glad to hear that the 2.1 beta has resolved this issue for you @DominicJ!

In regards to the missing dictionary warning, you will need to manually install a dictionary for this language to resolve the warning. You can find out how to import dictionaries into Publisher here -

Equally, you can select this text and change the Spelling Language in the Character Studio to 'None' to disable spellcheck, or to a different language as required.

hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 1/23/2023 at 11:56 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @Raksit P,

Thanks Dan, very helpful. I think I’ll just select none as the text is translated and I don’t want to touch it other than lay it out on the page. Although, would you know why it’s asking for en-HK (English-Hong Kong), when the text and font is set to ‘Google Noto Thai’? 

• Staff

No problem at all!

47 minutes ago, DominicJ said:

Although, would you know why it’s asking for en-HK (English-Hong Kong), when the text and font is set to ‘Google Noto Thai’? 

The Language setting isn't controlled by the Font selection, if the text was copied from an external source then the Affinity app will detect a language if one has been set for the source text, before copying - though it's certainly possible that the Affinity app is incorrectly reading the source language and setting this as en-HK as the closest match.

Please note -

Many thanks!