You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Error when moving an object to the edge of the sheet near the second sheet

GRAFKOM

In Publisher 2.00, 2.03, and Beta there is a very annoying bug when working with objects that need to be moved near the top or bottom edge of adjacent pages. For example, if I have 2 pages and on the first page I create a large rectangle or insert an image and I want to move it to the bottom edge of the first sheet, then if half of the object is already on the second sheet, then the entire object will move to the second sheet, even though I still hold the object on 1 sheet.

In Affinity 1, this worked very well.

In Affinity 2 it was broken and no one noticed?

These bugs prevent Affinity 2 from working normally.

Zrzut ekranu_20221220_135423.png

image.png

This is not a bug. This is how it works. Once the middle of the rectangle is over the top page the rectangle is considered to have been moved onto that page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Unfortunately, you are wrong.

So how do I make a piece of the red rectangle on the other side? Unfeasible in Publisher 2. It worked fine in Affinity 1. As long as you hold the object with the mouse and the object and the mouse pointer is on that page then the object is visible on that page even though part of it is sort of on the next page.

4 hours ago, GRAFKOM said:

Unfortunately, you are wrong.

So how do I make a piece of the red rectangle on the other side? Unfeasible in Publisher 2. It worked fine in Affinity 1....

I am not sure why you want to work like that. Why not resize the red rectangle to just be a short wide rectangle?

I will assume that you are using an image/photo and want just the bottom of it on the top of the page. Use a short wide picture frame at the top of the page to hold the image/photo and move the photo around inside the picture frame. 

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

The red rectangle is just an example. Imagine a group of several elements that you need to place in the upper or lower part of the card, but only part of this group is to be visible on the card. And there are several cards. Or instead of a group, an image that is to be visible on the page only a piece.

In Publisher 1 this works fine without artificially inserting into a rectangle.

And in Publiher 2 the group is flipped to the next page and you can't just show a piece of a group or a piece of an image.

Again, I will suggest you use a small picture frame to hold the image at the bottom of the page.

• Staff

Publisher V1 behaviour is my expectation too, but I wonder what use case it was changed for? I will ask, but that particular Dev is having his first holiday in a year, so it may be a while before I know 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

If you can't open now v2 files in v1 (I think you can't) and are in a rush and in the middle of a professional project (with a client waiting, etc) that u were working on, I just checked that as -of course- you can move objects/images with the cursor keys + shift , and cursor keys alone for much more precision, the thing is that then it will not produce any of the 2 issues. It also helps that by doing so it displays numerically the distance to the edges, that's useful.

I mean, with the cursor keys + shift (or without shift, slower and much more accurate, enough accuracy for many projects; surely for this one), it does not flip, neither show in the other page, neither disappears once x percentage is in the other page.

I agree that this should be fixed. But trying to help here.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can change the increment for moving with the arrow keys and shift (default 10px, you can set 50, 5, 30, whatever), as well as movement only with the arrow keys (default 1px, I have tried with 0.1 px and allows a lot more fine adjustment). You can do tests back and forth to find your ideal increment without restarting  the app.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

7 hours ago, SrPx said:

Edit: Forgot to mention that you can change the increment for moving with the arrow keys and shift (default 10px, you can set 50, 5, 30, whatever), as well as movement only with the arrow keys (default 1px, I have tried with 0.1 px and allows a lot more fine adjustment). You can do tests back and forth to find your ideal increment without restarting  the app.

Yes I know. For now, I do this with the arrow keys on the keyboard. But imagine that you are not working on A4 format but designing a 2x4m banner.

I have several pages (several projects) and I just want to show in the lower or upper part of the project only some piece of graphic, and the graphic is 5m high. I move half of it and it already skips me to the next page. So I would have to move almost 2 meters with the arrow keys on the keyboard to get what I want. Very often I also need to place a piece of graphics in the bleed, which in this case is no longer possible with the mouse. (I'm still talking about the case when we have several pages).

Stupidity. in Affinity 1 I do it by moving the mouse over the graphics faster - in 1 second.

So the obvious thing - Affinity 2 to improve. (But probably in a month or more because Christmas and New Year)

• Staff

So I have been told the change was made to improve what happens with multiple selections (particularly ones that that span multiple spreads) being dragged between spreads. This was an unforeseen consequence of that improvement. The behavior shown in your V1 video was good for your use case and so this change has been reported to the developers.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, Patrick Connor said:

made to improve what happens with multiple selections (particularly ones that that span multiple spreads) being dragged between spreads.

Wouldn't also an automatic page activation be required once an object appears on another page?

In @GRAFKOM's first movie (V2) it does not but keeps Page 2 selected (gray border) with an empty Layers panel while in the 2nd movie (V1) the other page automatically gets the "active" page when the object occurs there.

For certain situations this is a logged (unfixed) issue for V1 already, for instance when an object gets dragged from the Asset panel onto a page in the lower part of the screen. Or the same or separate issue when the user tries to select objects on a page which is currently not "active" which results in unexpected object selection on the 'wrong' page but indicated by bounding boxes on the 'right' page.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

@GRAFKOM this issue was meant to be fixed in the beta, I will have someone look again at this next week. Is it behaving exactly as 2.0.4 for you? We have found an unexpected consequence of the fix, but we understood it was fixed. Perhaps we have misunderstood your recipe 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd