You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New document bug. Formats are missing A2, A1 and A0.

Designer1

Add the presets yourself. This is intentional (has already been discussed at length), because otherwise you wouldn't have anything to do yourself...just kidding😪

Serif doesn't care and still consider it a good workflow to always create a new document smaller than needed and then go to the document settings and resize the document. There you will find the big DIN formats:

image.png.bbb466e4318b30ef554a2d96fa0c322d.png

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3296, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

3 minutes ago, 4dimage said:

Add the presets yourself. This is intentional (has already been discussed at length), because otherwise you wouldn't have anything to do yourself...just kidding😪

Serif doesn't care and still consider it a good workflow to always create a new document smaller than needed and then go to the document settings and resize the document. There you will find the big DIN formats:

image.png.bbb466e4318b30ef554a2d96fa0c322d.png

Such a procedure is cumbersome and incomprehensible. All DIN A formats should already be available when creating a new document.

26 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

Such a procedure is cumbersome and incomprehensible. All DIN A formats should already be available when creating a new document.

If all 11 DIN A paper sizes are included then more American sizes should be added, too. Currently, Publisher 2.0.3 six DIN A sizes plus the European business card size for a total of seven. But for Central and North America, there are only three preset sizes, Letter, Legal, and Ledger. We should also have Half Letter, Half Legal, US Business Card, and maybe Foolscap for parity before more European sizes are added.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

@MikeTO Hmm, and what is the reason of deploying localized versions of a software? Is it forbidden to install/show different presets for every localized version of the apps ?! This does not only apply to commonly used document formats but also to e.g. commonly used color profiles for europe, the americas, far east...

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3296, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

In windows 11, unfortunately, it is not possible to select the A0, A1, A2 format either with a new document or as it is already created. This is very annoying, and I don't understand how Serif could intentionally remove it. Who are these Affinity programs for? I work professionally on these programs, I use them every day in my work. And programs instead of swarming are broken on purpose. The Affinity 1 version was already good, you know there were still bugs. But in the version of Affinity 2 there were changes that nobody asked for. Instead of correcting errors, Serif made incomprehensible changes, including the removal of A0, A1 and A2 formats.

Are these programs for preschoolers? For fun on an A4 sheet?

People. I want to work on these programs.

Serif, don't put a log under your feet. I'm willing to pay 10 times more for a program just to get it to work properly.

Serif - give me your account number - I'll transfer you the money I kept for the purchase of the latest CorelDraw, which in Poland is 6 times more expensive than the entire Affinity package.

image.png.ef7bc4e0b53c38467410afc3261abd4c.png

• Staff

I have asked for these sizes to be added bac in (to the Architecture section) in a future update

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 1 year later...

That was a year ago! I believe we have had 2 updates since then!

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Hi @jackamus we already had 3 updates, 2.1 2.2, and 2.3... which is where we are currently at, and 2.4 beta is going to start either this week or next week.

Tzvi 9_9

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

This isn't a bug! It's just one of those random decisions that Serif make; like choosing various default settings themselves, rather than letting the user set their own!
I doubt if it will ever change! ☹️

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, tzvi20 said:

Hi @jackamus we already had 3 updates, 2.1 2.2, and 2.3... which is where we are currently at, and 2.4 beta is going to start either this week or next week.

So where is the Document update promised by Patrick?

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I don't know.

Tzvi 9_9

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

2 hours ago, jackamus said:

So where is the Document update promised by Patrick?

He did not promise anything other than to request the Developers to add them back (in other words, to reconsider their decision to remove those presets). And as there is a tag on this topic, he has done that. And all he said is "in a future update", which says nothing about when, even if the Developers agree.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

You can add A0, A1, and A2 sizes to the list with about 60 seconds of effort. These are just presets so you can add whatever sizes you like. I recommend doing this in dark mode as the Save Preset As icon is invisible in light mode.

Screenshot2024-01-01at12_39_46PM.thumb.png.fa084d80c551ae9486179b4c75f6517b.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

He did not promise anything other than to request the Developers to add them back (in other words, to reconsider their decision to remove those presets). And as there is a tag on this topic, he has done that. And all he said is "in a future update", which says nothing about when, even if the Developers agree.

With respect Walt, that's a pretty lame excuse! I get the impression that the developers live in a world of their own with only minimal acknowledgement to users needs.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

5 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

You can add A0, A1, and A2 sizes to the list with about 60 seconds of effort. These are just presets so you can add whatever sizes you like. I recommend doing this in dark mode as the Save Preset As icon is invisible in light mode.

Screenshot2024-01-01at12_39_46PM.thumb.png.fa084d80c551ae9486179b4c75f6517b.png

That's another problem icons are not plainly visible in whatever mode you are in. Why must they always be grey on grey? For ease of use the more contrast there is the better. However it may not be aesthetically pleasing but we must bow down to that!

Will we ever get back to a time when the obvious was obvious?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From the way Serif staff refer to the "Developers" I do sometimes wonder if these "Developers" are actually staff employed by Serif, or if are they some sort of automatous group who answer to no one but themselves! I also wonder how many of these "Developers" actually have any practical experience of using the software in the real world.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

21 minutes ago, jackamus said:

With respect Walt, that's a pretty lame excuse! I get the impression that the developers live in a world of their own with only minimal acknowledgement to users needs.

They said they were simplifying the dialog, and removing options not needed by most users that could easily be added back by the users who do need them.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

7 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

From the way Serif staff refer to the "Developers" I do sometimes wonder if these "Developers" are actually staff employed by Serif, or if are they some sort of automatous group who answer to no one but themselves! I also wonder how many of these "Developers" actually have any practical experience of using the software in the real world.

As I understand it, the Serif technical staff are broken up into at least 3 groups: Support (who handle these forums), QA (who do quality assurance and also handle these forums), and Developers (who write the code, and occasionally appear in these forums).

-- Walt
PC:

8 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

Well said! I wonder how many of them know anything about graphics from a basic and first principles level!

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

3 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

They said they were simplifying the dialog, and removing options not needed by most users that could easily be added back by the users who do need them.

I'm a great believer in "If it isn't broken then don't fix it!'

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

6 minutes ago, jackamus said:

I'm a great believer in "If it isn't broken then don't fix it!'

I think it was considered broken, as the list was long and unwieldy, and included too many options not needed by most users.

Removing some less-frequently used options was one of the "fixes" they made. The other was the addition of the Portrait/Landscape toggle, eliminating the need to define  presets twice (once for Portrait, once for Lanscape).

Neither fix seems to have been popular with some users who post here in the forums.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I think it was considered broken, as the list was long and unwieldy, and included too many options not needed by most users.

Removing some less-frequently used options was one of the "fixes" they made. The other was the addition of the Portrait/Landscape toggle, eliminating the need to define  presets twice (once for Portrait, once for Lanscape).

Neither fix seems to have been popular with some users who post here in the forums.

Let's take my argument a little further. When something is improved it usually has something added to it whether another part or feature or an improvement to that which is already existing but taking something away that was previously necessary is not an improvement its a digression.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

10 minutes ago, jackamus said:

When something is improved it usually has something added to it whether another part or feature or an improvement to that which is already existing but taking something away that was previously necessary is not an improvement its a digression.

When the problem is that a list is too long, shortening it can be an improvement. And in this case, the items were apparently deemed not necessary, perhaps because they felt that the (presumably few) users who need them can easily add them back. Of course, those users would view it as a a reduction of function, even if other users are happier with a shorter list.

We can only wait and see whether 2.4 or some later beta restores them. But in the meantime, you can easily add them back or create a Template rather than using one of the Presets.

-- Walt
PC:

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

When the problem is that a list is too long, shortening it can be an improvement. And in this case, the items were apparently deemed not necessary, perhaps because they felt that the (presumably few) users who need them can easily add them back. Of course, those users would view it as a a reduction of function, even if other users are happier with a shorter list.

We can only wait and see whether 2.4 or some later beta restores them. But in the meantime, you can easily add them back or create a Template rather than using one of the Presets.

My answer to a list getting longer because of newer standard sizes and then improved it by removing that which previous was needed but now has become superfluous, is 'rationalization'. This is not the same as removing something that was previously needed. I can understand rationalizing a list of paper sizes that include sizes which are considered no longer standard. 'Foolscap' being a good example.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0