You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Frequent Lagging experienced in Affinity Designer V2

Hi @stokerg,

my processor is an Intel i7-11370H in a Surface Laptop Studio. I turned off OpenCL now, but for the next days I don't have jobs to do in AD. I was testing yesterday for ca. 15 minutes and didn't see any lags. But when I turned in on again, there where no lags either, even with the documents that caused them before. Just selecting and moving objects around doesn't seem to produce lags, even with large documents. Sadly I am to busy at the moment to test further.

Edit: I see, 2.0.4. is out! I will check this and stop testing 2.0.3.

• Staff

@mara.cernoch @earl_greyand @chessboardand anyone else reading this thread running Affinity Designer on Windows,

Would you mind trying something for me?  Uninstall the current version of V2 Designer you have installed and install the MSI/EXE installer which you can download from this page:
https://store.serif.com/en-gb/update/windows/designer/2/

Theres a link just under the download button which says 'Also available: Download latest version EXE (572.42MB)' if you can download that version, install it and see if it performs any better for you.  I'm not working this weekend (yay me) so will check the replies on Monday.  But i'd be really interested if the users with the Ryzen CPU's see an improvement. 

There have been users reporting the MSIX versions, which we launched with were running slower than expected in certain workflows (for all Affinity apps, not just Designer), due to the sandboxing of MSIX installs but the .exe version isn't sandboxed so would be a good test to run to see if things improve.  I'm also interested in hearing if the Intel users see an improvement as well, so please don't feel left out and do post your findings, be them good or bad or the same :) 

@stokerg thanks for the link!

I tested the MSI/EXE install and I must say, that AD now feels so much snappier! I didn't test long (just 10 minutes for now, because of other things to do), but my first impression is, that the MSI-Version runs much more smoothly (even with OpenGL turned on). At the moment I can't see almost any delay between clicking an object on the canvas or in the layers palette and the object being highlighted. Even without real lagging, the MSIX-Version felt much stolid.

I hope that this impression will be confirmed as I continue to work.

• Staff

Hi @chessboard,

On 1/29/2023 at 10:42 AM, chessboard said:

I hope that this impression will be confirmed as I continue to work.

Please do keep me posted if there's any change.

8 minutes ago, mara.cernoch said:

Hey, I tried installing AD through the .exe option and the problem with the delay in switching between individual tools still prevails. The first time I installed AD V2 was through the MSIX, so I have hoped that installing it through .EXE would help, but unfortunately not for me. 

Thanks anyway sir. 

@mara.cernoch I'll admit, I was hoping for better news but this is still good information to have as it helps narrow things down a bit for us.  Leave this with me, as I need to speak to the QA team and will update here once I've got something else for you to try :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2023 at 2:56 PM, stokerg said:

Hi @chessboard,

Please do keep me posted if there's any change.

@mara.cernoch I'll admit, I was hoping for better news but this is still good information to have as it helps narrow things down a bit for us.  Leave this with me, as I need to speak to the QA team and will update here once I've got something else for you to try :) 

Hello @stokerg, I have this issue with the whole Suite. I'm using the latest MSI/EXE version. I also tried the 2.1 Beta, but the lags remained. It happens with any file after some time and the only way to stop it is to restart the apps every time. OpenCL is disabled. Unfortunately this lag makes the software unusable for me. It would be nice if you fix it.

AMD Ryzen 3 3100 / RX 6600 / 16GB DDR4 3200 / Windows 10 Home

On 1/26/2023 at 9:16 AM, stokerg said:

Hi @A.R, @chessboard, @earl_grey, @M1000,

What CPU do you have?  Also does disabling openCL in Preferences>Performance improve things for you?

Hi,

Sorry for my late answer,

the CPU  of my computer ( on wich I have the lag on all affinity suite) [01] : Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2401 MHz

the cpu of my old laptop on wich I don't have the lag problem (and still on windows 10 because it is too old for windows 11) [01] :

AMD64 Family 23 Model 24 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~3600 MHz

The old laptop doesn't experiment the lag, I don't know why. The hard drive is new, but everything else is almost 10 years old.

Just now, A.R said:

Hi,

Sorry for my late answer,

the CPU  of my computer ( on wich I have the lag on all affinity suite) [01] : Intel64 Family 6 Model 78 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~2401 MHz

the cpu of my old laptop on wich I don't have the lag problem (and still on windows 10 because it is too old for windows 11) [01] :

AMD64 Family 23 Model 24 Stepping 1 AuthenticAMD ~3600 MHz

The old laptop doesn't experiment the lag, I don't know why. The hard drive is new, but everything else is almost 10 years old.

OUPs, Sorry, it is the contrary!!! The intel 64 cpu is the old laptop pcu , the AMD64 is the PC's . But it is still the old laptops wich works well with affinity and the PC wich doesn't.