You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer 2.0.3: boolean operations on pathes from text still broken

4dimage

Now almost 6 weeks, one beta and one "stable" release later this essential, fundamental function is still crap. If one of the participants is a compound path from artistict text converted to curves the results are still unpredictable. Neiter direct boolean subtract nor montage works.

image.png.de888fab81c5480726ba0922d3f7e708.png

In the meantime, needless to say, everything has worked flawlessly under v1 before...

image.png.0b7ac660c2a0d84feff2bc8c833d4a42.png

You shall measure them by their words: "...and I’m sure you will be pleased with the updates V2 will receive."

@Ash Unfortunately after 6 weeks and days spent on bug recreation, reporting, beta testing and discussing i am not pleased 😔

Will you pay us customers for that work ?

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

• Staff

Hi @4dimage

This issue is being investigated, I can't give you an estimate on when this will be resolved. As Serif does not generally give timeframes for bug fixes and patches. This can be due to any potential or unforeseen issues and or regressions that may appear during internal testing.

• 2 weeks later...

There was another thread about this which I can't find now. As a temporary fix for the workflow, and in case serves for guessing some clue to fix the issue internally, I realized copying as SVG (activating the feature in preferences (no need to restart), then using "paste special", it seems to get rid of whatever is causing it,  the pasted (only if in this way) element works fine)

I detail briefly the steps (there are a few more, but it is very fast) in this other thread from today (link to the exact post) : 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

I am attaching here a Designer 2 file which I just made where I do the boolean with no problems (again, if I am understanding well the issue...) , so, there's a layer with the result of the boolean applied, and in a group (but move it out of the group if needed, I only did the group to keep it tidy) below, still a rectangle and the "text" layer which was "converted to curves", then "geometry-> combine curves".

For a fast workflow so to place the pasted thing well, etc, I explain that in the steps list in  the link I just pasted above (in case someone needs urgently to do this specific task for a project).

test-copy-as-svg.afdesign

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.