You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Undo/Redo issues with adjustment filters

fatpo

Similar to the bug in Photo except, if you try and undo an edit made to an Adjustments filter (eg move a slider in curves, levels, HSL etc) undo closes the panel. Open it again, make an edit to more than one slider it reverts to the last opened state of the sliders instead of the last move you made. 🤦‍♂️

An 'upgrade' should carry on from where it left off and add and improve functionality, not strip it of the most basic workflow.

I wish I'd never upgraded to V2, I bought this to use it, not beta test it.

27 minutes ago, fatpo said:

make an edit to more than one slider it reverts to the last opened state of the sliders instead of the last move you made. 

The History does not record each slider movement you make in the adjustment dialog. It records the overall state, when you are done moving the sliders. Therefore, Undo can only go back to the last "final" state of the adjustment.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

with respect, no. single step undo/redos of incremental edits while you're working on an adjustment have always been available across all V1 design packages (and indeed all design software) - I use them daily!  It's wasn't available at all in v2.0.0 and isn't doing what it should in the update.

I have to agree with @walt.farrell. Here on Mac OS I get the undo step recorded for an entire "editing session" with an adjustment layer in Designer version 1. I also wonder how the history would be recorded when I use the mouse to make several points in the Curves adjustment layer and then slowly move them around I have only the one entry for this whole set of separate mouse click drag motions.

The only way I can get separate entries is to make one adjustment, deselect the Adjustment Layer, reselect it and make a second adjustment.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

History doesn't matter, as the point is recorded once you make the adjustment and let go. That is a state, but not in history panel. Then another state is when you add and move another point. Moving forward and backwards is possible in PS. I just installed V1 and it's not working. Either a patch messed it up or I can't recall. Yes the workaround would be adjust then close panel, then adjust again.. But that seems primitive, when other apps allow it. In PS i could get 2-3-4 states. But in affinity if I hit undo after a point, it closes the panel instead of deleting the last point.

57 minutes ago, norbinw said:

Moving forward and backwards is possible in PS. I just installed V1 and it's not working.

Yes, PS and Affinity work differently. 

You have said that V1 works as you want, but I'm a bit confused about whether you've really seen that in any Affinity application, or only in PS.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

11 hours ago, norbinw said:

But in affinity if I hit undo after a point, it closes the panel instead of deleting the last point.

The option "Automatically undo and redo assistant actions" in the Assistant Manager affects whether the panel is closed or just (all) the adjustments are undone

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

7 hours ago, carl123 said:

The option "Automatically undo and redo assistant actions" in the Assistant Manager affects whether the panel is closed or just (all) the adjustments are undone

Brilliant! - thank you!

Switching off Assistant (default state in Photo) also achieves the same.

OK, so this now works as expected with Layer Effects, but not with Adjustments, it resets all sliders to the last opened state.
Same with Photo so a glitch there.

Thanks again @Carl123

• Staff

Hi @fatpo

When you set the adjustment parameters, the state is recorded in the history panel as one action 'Set adjustment parameters'. If you undo then it will set the parameters back to the last state, e.g. default settings.

This is expected behaviour, it is the same in v1 and v2.

1 hour ago, EmT said:

Hi @fatpo

When you set the adjustment parameters, the state is recorded in the history panel as one action 'Set adjustment parameters'. If you undo then it will set the parameters back to the last state, e.g. default settings.

This is expected behaviour, it is the same in v1 and v2.

Thanks @EmT, but i think judging by all the replies there must be some misunderstanding somewhere. Hopefully the screen shots will show what I mean. At the risk of repeating myself, I've use this daily in the 3 years I've been exclusively using Affinity products.
In V1 ALL Effects and adjustments panes remembered each action and could be done and undone. In V2 it's only working with layer affects. See attached images. Hopefully they upload in order... :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

@fatpo: You are demonstrating how the Layer Effects dialog works, then (it seems) assuming that the Adjustments and Filters dialogs work the same way. I have not tried your example with Layer Effects, but what we are saying is that Adjustments and Filters dialogs do not work that way. And that they are working correctly.

-- Walt
PC: