You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Afinity Photo and Designer won't open.

I have been using the original version of Affinity Photo and Designer since 2019 without any issues, but suddenly neither program will open. When I click on the icon it bounces up and down for a while and stops and starts again. Eventually the rotating Mac ball appears and my computer slows to a standstill and freezes so I can only restart it by pressing the on button at the back. I am using an iMac OS 13.0.1.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 7:12 AM, Terry Hand said:

I have been using the original version of Affinity Photo and Designer since 2019 without any issues, but suddenly neither program will open. When I click on the icon it bounces up and down for a while and stops and starts again. Eventually the rotating Mac ball appears and my computer slows to a standstill and freezes so I can only restart it by pressing the on button at the back. I am using an iMac OS 13.0.1.

I have no experience with Ventura, but do know that there was a significant change in responsiveness with my Big Sur Mac when I followed the suggestion made by James Ritson on the Affinity Staff.  Open Apple System Preferences, Displays, and uncheck Automatically adjust brightness.   If you have not resolved this issue already, could you try to see if this will make a difference? 

I hope this may help.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

First, are you still having this issue or has it been resolved?

Which version of Affinity are you using? 1.10.6 or 2.0.3?

There is an issue with macOS launching Affinity on macOS where it's sometimes very slow to launch. Typically it's the first time you've launched the app since you last restarted macOS. From that point on it should be fast until the next restart. Serif has been investigating that issue for a long time but there's no immediate fix. I had it for a while with v1 on Monterey but I don't experience it with v1 or v2 on Ventura.

But it sounds like your problem is worse than this, it never finishes launching. If you're still having this problem, I recommend uninstalling and reinstalling because something is definitely amiss. There aren't any widespread reports of this type of issue in these forums.

FYI, the "Automatically Adjust Brightness" problem only impacts interacting with the interface after Affinity launches, not when launching, so turning this off won't help with this issue. It also impacts only v1, not v2.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 4 weeks later...

I too suffer from this 35-40 second bouncing start-up on macOS, all v1 and all v2 apps, for years.  I was hoping v2 would have that fixed...much disappointed.  It is the first launch as you say, after a restart or perhaps other long delay between launches.

Affinity really needs to get this fixed.  It has plagued this EXCELLENT Adobe killer suite for years, and while I know it sounds superficial, imagine a client walks up to your machine and you want to show them the latest project; but, you weren't prepared ahead of time!  Modern macOS machines (late history Intel or any MX series since) have almost zero launch time for virtually any other app (except multi-platform java stuff).  In this instance, you'd launch and then the client would be offered a coffee or tea while we wait for the app to launch!

It's just getting old that Affinity (Serif) doesn't solve this problem!

--

Stuke

4 hours ago, Stuke said:

I too suffer from this 35-40 second bouncing start-up on macOS, all v1 and all v2 apps, for years.

What macOS version do you use? FWIW, I use Catalina & all the V1 & V2 apps start up very quickly, taking no more than a few seconds.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7