You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2.0.3 Contour (line thickness UI) does not work!

Designer1

@debraspicher Try now making a new (close other files, just in case) file at 300 dpi (default in Designer), not 72 dpi as I see in your screenshot... As  at 72 dpi it works for me, too.

It's DPI related, it seems.

Edit: Probably you knew, and that's what you meant.

Edit: Nope, is not that... it did look like it was working fine, to me...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Ok, rather interesting...

It DOES work if setting the document to pixels unit in the "New " dialog, AND setting 72 dpi (with 300dpi it produces the error), AND, very important, is powers of 2, like with the graphic cards memory and all that. So, 1024x1024 (as Debraspicher has it in the screen)  , 512x512, 2048x2048, 4096x4096, when setting new document so, and in pixels, and with 72 DPI, all those work without setting "lines as points",  in preferences. With a new document of 2000x2000 px, 72 dpi, in pixels, it won't work, for example.

Quite a clue (thanks to debra), but yeah...for the devs, not us.  :D 

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

50 minutes ago, debraspicher said:

I don't have "Show lines in points" on and I have not had issues with adjusting stroke in pixels in V2.

The issue is with millimeters, pixels also worked fine for me, in Publisher 72 DPI and 1080p document.

25 minutes ago, Intuos5 said:

The issue is with millimeters, pixels also worked fine for me.

Oh, I misread, then.

Anyway, for me it does the issue despite being pixels, if the new file is not a 1024x1024, 2048x2048 (or whatever power of 2), even if is at 72 dpi, and pixels unit. If I drag the slider it goes crazy.

Do you mean that if you create a new file, 2000x2000 px, 72dpi , in pixels, and with "use points for lines" unchecked, it works well for you? As it is producing the error here for those files...

It's good to know that once you create the file, you can change later on to whatever the dimensions in document properties, and it still works well. Even after saving the file, closing and opening again, it still works well. So, a trick can be starting always as a 1024x1024, 72dpi, pixels,  then change to the size you want in document properties.  <--- Edit: NO. It does not.You need to work with pixels and 72 dpi for this not to happen.

Ok, I don't know what to think, now...

NOW, files of 2000px x 2000px, 72 dpi are working well....

COuld be that it "remembers" the immediately recent situation, and  that's why yet works well?  :o  (Edit: No, closed and restarted. It's not that)

(using 2.0.3 oficial for all this)

Ok...

Fully disregard the power of 2 thing. Unrelated. I don't know, maybe I dragged the slider too little to detect it'd happen anyway at powers of two dimensions as well. 

If I create a 2000x2000 px file in pixels, it works, but only if it's at 72 dpi. Tested restarting the app, in case it was something loaded yet on memory or something.  If I set it as 300dpi, I get the problem again. Even if I start as 72dpi, 2000x2000 px, pixels unit,  it works perfectly but if I then change in 'document  properties' to 300 dpi, it will produce the error in the same figure that was working well 2 seconds ago.

So, it's units in pixels but also dpi needing to be in 72 dpi. And apparently, nothing more than that (and the preference setting about use lines as points, of course).

• Staff

The developers are aware of this issue and the underlying cause, and it will be addressing it in the next beta/release. Thanks for your reports and investigations.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
Just now, debraspicher said:

No, I did not. I will give it a try...

Thanks but there really is no need for any more of this. The problem has been identified and a fix already proposed 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Sorry that you have experienced this problem with the 2.0.3 release of the Affinity Suite. 

We have now released 2.0.4 on all platforms, and using those builds this problem no longer occurs.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd