You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 2.0.3 Contour (line thickness UI) does not work!

Designer1

I confirm. It is not possible to work in this version. Is it possible to roll back to 2.0.0. In the windows 11 version, you cannot set a different value by scrolling the mouse over the line thickness field. Also, entering values manually does not make the changes correctly. It does not work in all units: be it mm, m, px and others. Even though I enter, for example, 5mm on the keyboard and confirm with Enter, a completely different random value is entered. It is not possible to work in this version.

No one at Serif saw this before the full release?

It also doesn't work in Publisher and Photo.

• Staff

Hi @GRAFKOM

Just for clarification do you mean the issue occurs with the Stroke Width in the Stroke panel or is this occurring when setting the width of a Contour using the Contour tool?

If you have purchased the app through the Affinity Store then you can re-install Designer 2.0.0 from this link here

• Staff

Thanks @GRAFKOM

I've passed this over to the devs for investigation. I can confirm the issue does not occur when Show Lines in Points is enabled or your Document Units are set to Points. 

Here everything works fine except "miter" which doesn't change anything. But mouse wheel scrolling works. But whatever the value nothing changes.

EDIT:

I had Show lines in Points enabled. When it's disable it stop working. Mouse wheel only makes it toggle from 0mm to the max it was originally set to, manually entering the value translate from points to mm.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

• Staff
13 minutes ago, AlainP said:

I had Show lines in Points enabled. When it's disable it stop working. Mouse wheel only makes it toggle from 0mm to the max it was originally set to, manually entering the value translate from points to mm.

yes, that is the bug

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

2 hours ago, EmT said:

Hi @Designer1

Is the Radius box greyed out or can you enter a figure but it makes no visual change?

Could you send me a screen recording of this issue in action?

Yes, you cannot change the contour thickness by entering a number, e.g. 2mm. The radius setting does not work with the mouse either.
Please fix this bug as soon as possible!

• Staff
1 hour ago, GRAFKOM said:

No one at Serif saw this before the full release?

No, sorry

50 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

Is it possible to roll back to 2.0.0  ?

If you are using the Affinity Store build, you were answered earlier in the thread

1 hour ago, EmT said:

If you have purchased the app through the Affinity Store then you can re-install Designer 2.0.0 from this link here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Don't you test anything yourself anymore in advance? This is completely broken:

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3296, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

• Staff
1 minute ago, 4dimage said:

This is completely broken:

Yes sorry, broken for all units except when working with lines in Points (Preferences > User Interface). 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

• Staff
2 minutes ago, GRAFKOM said:

I confirm. The Text Frame setting is also not working properly.

Thanks I'll add that to the report 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

Can confirm that this issue happens, Windows 10 Designer V2 2.0.3. Just updated and cannot work due to this. I mean, guys, come on, to release a patch with such a glitch is just embarrassing.

None of this happened in V1, I feel like V2 brings new things to the table but breaks a lot of previously established things. And I mean a lot. And new features are rarely useful due to the lack of things (like, for example, snapping to grid and guides in Mesh warping, making it impossible to be precise and pixel-perfect). I felt like before Affinity used to roll out features inspired by Adobe, but made better and more user-friendly. Now it's like they are in pre-production but are being added in official releases.

Beginning to really wonder if buying V2 was a good decision.

@parusdesign Forget about the new features because some of them are still bugy. The bad news is that now core functions that worked for years with v1 are affected too. I would recommend to NOT use v2 in production. Unfortunately it’s unpredictable what core functions will be broken with the next updates. The current v1.10.6 is stable enough to work with - if you have one…

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3296, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22687.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

To be fair: If the option "show lines in points" is enabled, you can still enter the value in millimeters in the input field for the line width, if you add the unit "mm" to the numerical value. It's just that you can no longer read the value in millimeters, but only in points.
However, it is no problem to set a line to a line width of, for example, 10mm. I just realized that I have never changed the units in the fields to mm in version 1, but have always worked with pt.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have "Show lines in points" on and I have not had issues with adjusting stroke in pixels in V2. I don't know if this is helpful for staff, but just sharing here it is working fine.

image.png.a2fc91551b5958390ea1e5fb4b517bcb.png

230103_contour-stroke-show-lines-in-points-disabled.gif.thumb.gif.b6a69f6fe4498f8b2897623eca65e72a.gif

Microsoft Windows 10 Home (Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8Ghz (-30 all core +200mhz PBO); Mobo: Asus X470 Prime Pro
32GB DDR4 (3600Mhz); EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 3080 X3C Ultra 12GB
Monitor 1 4K @ 125% due to a bug
Monitor 2 4K @ 150%
Monitor 3 (as needed) 1080p @ 100%

WACOM Intuos4 Large; X-rite i1Display Pro; NIKON D5600 DSLR