You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Confused about the use of Develop Persona

Hi, I am trying out Affinity Photo at this point and I am confused about the following: I am under the impression that the Develop Persona is only for RAW files. If that is so, how come there is a Develop extension for the OS X Photo app which I have used successfully to work on TIFF and JPEG flies? Does that mean that I can also use the Develop Persona in Affinity to work on JPEG or TIFF files? If so, is there be any advantage in doing that? Moreover, if you are working on a RAW file in Affinity, do you necessarily need to edit the photo first in the Develop Persona before you can edit it in the Photo Persona? Thanks in advance for your help with this question.

• Staff

Hi alecspra,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

RAW files are comprised by the "raw" data captured by the camera's sensor that need to be converted/processed into an image. Since all information captured by the sensor is available, it's the most flexible format to work with since it gives more flexibility in post production. The Develop Persona is where you can control that conversion and develop your image. As soon as you finish it (press Apply) the image then moves to Photo Persona where you can perform/apply further global adjustments, filters etc and local edits.

Most modern cameras are also able to save JPG's along with the RAW files or without them. Those are images that were already converted and processed by the camera using specific parameters defined by the camera's manufacturer and saved using a lossy compression algorithm. As such they are more limited in range and tonal detail and less flexible to work with when fixing exposure issues etc.

By default all RAW files open in Develop Persona for conversion/processing, however if you are in Photo Persona - no matter the file format you have opened (JPG, TIFF etc) - and need to use some tools from Develop Persona on a layer you can change to Develop Persona clicking on its icon on the top left of the interface. Just make sure you have a Pixel layer selected, and not an Image layer. Image layers are considered object layer types (like text or shapes) and can only be transformed globally (scale, rotate, skew etc). To work on a pixel level you must convert them to Pixel layers right-clicking on them in the Layers panel and selecting Rasterize....

You can identify the type of layer you are working with looking at the label in parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel.

Regarding your questions:

Does that mean that I can also use the Develop Persona in Affinity to work on JPEG or TIFF files? If so, is there be any advantage in doing that?

Yes, select a Pixel layer and click on the Develop Persona icon on the top left of the interface. The advantage is that you can access Develop Persona specific features/tools.

If you are working on a RAW file in Affinity, do you necessarily need to edit the photo first in the Develop Persona before you can edit it in the Photo Persona?

Yes, since RAW files are just "raw" data you have to convert/process them first before you can edit them in Photo Persona.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Would there be any benefit to adding the availability of allowing .icc profiles or LUTs to be applied in the develop persona? 

From what I understand is Capture one allows users to apply an .icc profile in raw developing which works as a work around for those Fujifilm users to simulate Fuji's film simulations of fuji cameras not supported.