You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tiny faint lines around text placed over images in Affinity Publisher V1 after exporting and re-uploading PDFs

Hello, I have searched the fora (and internet at large) and found mentions of similar difficulties, but unfortunately none of the answers seemed to quite work for me. I am new at this so maybe I just don't quite understand everything correctly.

I have created a very graphics heavy book in Affinity Publisher that I am trying to have printed through Barnes and Noble Press. Of note: if anyone else is trying to do this, set your document to 1/4" smaller on both dimensions than your desired finished dimensions. I have no idea why, but if you don't, B&N's system will reject it. I learned this through trial and error.

Anyway, most of the book interior consists of text boxes laid on top of background pictures, and of course the cover does too. It looks perfect in Affinity, and it exports to a PDF just fine on my computer. However, when I upload it to B&N's system and download it as a digital proof, tiny thin white/grey lines appear around the text areas. I am concerned these lines will show up when the books are printed.

How can I get rid of these lines? They look AWFUL, and seem to appear everywhere or almost everywhere text is on top of a background image.

Below is a zoomed in example. What's especially interesting about this spot is that I used the 'text on a path' feature here - you can see that the text is on an arc bending upward, and those little faint lines are still there, but they are rectilinear! What gives??

Thank you in advance!

example of lines.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi pepperhead,

This looks like a known issue with the PDF format itself.

https://creativepro.com/when-you-see-thin-white-lines-in-your-pdf-files/

Though I would suggest speaking to your printer before committing.

If you aren't reassured by them we can take a look at the document but I have a feeling it's just the format issue shown. 

(a quick test can be viewing it in different software, for example, chrome/firefox/acrobat and at different zoom levels. if it disappears in some of those circumstances it's far more likely.) 

Lee