You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Publisher 2.0.3] TOC Styles Problems

I've been working through Help files for Publisher 2.0.3, and have discovered a few problems:

• I'm unable to duplicate the auto-generated TOC Character and Paragraph styles. Is this by design?
  • I'm unable to enter a custom character or character pattern for leader lines in the TOC Paragraph styles dialogue box. I'm limited to a period, underscore, or strikethrough.

45 minutes ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

I've been working through Help files for Publisher 2.0.3, and have discovered a few problems:

• I'm unable to duplicate the auto-generated TOC Character and Paragraph styles. Is this by design?
  • I'm unable to enter a custom character or character pattern for leader lines in the TOC Paragraph styles dialogue box. I'm limited to a period, underscore, or strikethrough.

You shouldn't be able to duplicate or delete automatically generated TOC styles, that would serve no purpose, so I'd say it's by design. But Publisher isn't consistent with itself, you can duplicate or delete automatically generated Index styles. Probably designed at different points in Affinity's development and one is the newer approach and someday the other might be updated to match.

With regard to point #2, I can't recall if this is a known bug or not. For now, you can work around this by editing the leader character in the Paragraph Panel > Tab Stops - the same feature there works fine.

For Serif, the Position and Character fields are non-editable through Edit Text Style > Tab Stops and clicking on the ellipsis button.

251797405_Screenshot2022-12-19at6_56_42PM.thumb.png.a3308cc282f5fc24d59676155bd3224d.png

The same controls in the Paragraph panel work correctly.

212303181_Screenshot2022-12-19at6_57_15PM.png.10f9ecf28eb1bebb9d4fa7ee7898766f.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

4 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

@MikeTO

Ah. Yes. It makes sense that the auto-generated TOC paragraphs styles should not be duplicated – only modified.

But then the inability to specify a custom leader line character or pattern remains. Hopefully this comes to the attention of the Serif staff.

But for now you can specify a custom leader, just do it with the Paragraph panel. After you've done it for a single paragraph of the TOC then choose Update Style for that style. It's the same as editing the style directly.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Mark Oehlschlager,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I've been able to replicate this issue here and I have logged it with our developers as a bug - interestingly the same issue does not occur on Windows, so hopefully this should be an easy fix :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)