You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Improve way to end text editing

I would really appreciate the ability to quickly end the text editing state without converting to curves. The deselect function (Cmd+d) doesn't work for me when editing text (is this a bug?), and the only way  I know how to end it without 'converting to curves' is by pressing 'esc'. In most OS X applications, 'Cmd+Return' ends the text edit state and returns to the select tool. Aside from having many years of muscle memory with this shortcut in Adobe apps, many other apps continue to use it, including Final Cut Pro, Sketch, Motion, etc etc. So switching between AD and other common apps is painful with text IMO.

I think even allowing a Keyboard Shortcut preference for this would be great. Thoughts?

I'd like to put a consideration aside the ESC/CMD+Return thing...

By default AD and AP retain the selected tool for further actions, and this happens consistently.

But there are some scenarios where an exception to the rule (or an option to have it) could be handy.

For example the typical scenarios in text editing are

1)I want to create a new Text area (Paragraph or Art)

In this case I select the needed Text Tool and click or click-drag on my canvas.

Repeat until I've placed all the text needed, hit ESC or select outside and I'm done.

2) I want to edit an existing Text area (Paragraph or Art)

In this case I usually start with the Move Tool,  double click the area and modify.

Hit ESC and in this case  I'd expect to have my Move Tool back

These scenarios are similar for Node Tool, or any time a Double Click enables a deeper level of editing (so a tool switch).

What do you think about this?

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers

I'd like to put a consideration aside the ESC/CMD+Return thing...

By default AD and AP retain the selected tool for further actions, and this happens consistently.

But there are some scenarios where an exception to the rule (or an option to have it) could be handy.

For example the typical scenarios in text editing are

1)I want to create a new Text area (Paragraph or Art)

In this case I select the needed Text Tool and click or click-drag on my canvas.

Repeat until I've placed all the text needed, hit ESC or select outside and I'm done.

2) I want to edit an existing Text area (Paragraph or Art)

In this case I usually start with the Move Tool,  double click the area and modify.

Hit ESC and in this case  I'd expect to have my Move Tool back

These scenarios are similar for Node Tool, or any time a Double Click enables a deeper level of editing (so a tool switch).

What do you think about this?

I agree.