You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

pdf separation NOT CORRECT (Designer)

Thomahawk

designer v2, mac monterey

cmyk document fogra27

shadow effect set on multiply with only black 100%, separation check in acrobat = not overprinting

shadow instead made with transparency tool from 0 to 100% black color swatch set to overprint

ALL THIS RESULTS IN AN INCORRECT CMYK SEPARATION, it is never correctly overprint, but always spared out on the underlaying colors.

hence designer ist not suited for professional use.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-19 um 13.52.23.png

Bildschirmfoto 2022-12-19 um 13.51.11.png

Was this bug still not fixed?!
Oje… :/ 

Viel Vergnügen mit der Lektüre hier: 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

37 minutes ago, prophet said:

they say there;s a report in the system

"AFB-1118"? Oh, that must be an old one, given that by now we're in the AFB-7000 range… O.o

Looking at the example above though, and depending on what @Thomahawk wants to achieve, a different workflow might be even more appropriate anyway:

ade_shadow_fx_overprint_bug_fix.png.b54908124e571472e6c4ead6e2d1119e.png

^ This exports correctly to PDF/X-4. (in v1, obviously)

And avoid "Layer FX" wherever you can. 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, Thomahawk said:

not suited for professional use

Hm… I'd partially and respectfully disagree, because in my personal understanding of the inflationary term "professional", this also expects the "professional" user to know and understand the limitations of the tools they are using, and applying them appropriately. 

In other words, as long as you can actually work around an issue to get the desired result, the tool is still "suited for professional use". 
(Anyone who's been through the first, say, 15 years of DTP circa 1987–2002, and knew Aldus PM or QXP inside out by heart will surely know what I mean by that. ;))

For the record, more overprint "fun" here: 

I wonder if anything from that has been fixed in v2…?

Funny. Professional users have to work around software that is not doing its job. Ha ha.

Every pro tool from Indesign, Illustrator to 30 year old FreeHand is able to export anything that is set to 100% black and overprint exactly as it is set.

I had to solve this by using a gradient. Which is only possible in my specific design.

26 minutes ago, Thomahawk said:

Every pro tool from Indesign, Illustrator to 30 year old FreeHand is able to export anything […]

Jaja, aber de sicher… nid. :) 

To get usable press-ready PDF out of Freehand 9, I had to export the layout as EPS first, place the EPS onto a QXP4 spread, and then by some means – I don't remember the exact procedure: Xtension, Adobe PDF Printer, or whatever it was – I finally had a PDF that was suitable for offset print. 
Vo wäge "professionell"…

39 minutes ago, Thomahawk said:

Professional users have to work around software that is not doing its job.

Ja genau. Samuel Hüglis "QuarkXPress Insiderbuch" von 1997 war im Prinzip voll von Workarounds. Ich konnte es damals praktisch auswendig rezitieren.

Anyway.

There is a bug in Affinity, and it needs to be fixed.