You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

There was a problem connecting to the servers

1 hour ago, André Filipe said:

much less in offline mode.

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm not sure if this explains your problem, but: 

1. You must be online to activate the license.
  2. If you're running the Trial, you may need to be online more often, in the currently released code.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I've been using affinity designer for more than 5 years (paid license in version 1 and version 2), I've never had this kind of problem, I just had to update to version 2 and since then I can't use it outside my wi-fi network ( from my house ) even if the wi-fi network is disconnected I can't open it, it shows the same error.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

I'm not sure if this explains your problem, but: 

1. You must be online to activate the license.
  2. If you're running the Trial, you may need to be online more often, in the currently released code.

I've been using affinity designer for more than 5 years (paid license in version 1 and version 2), I've never had this kind of problem, I just had to update to version 2 and since then I can't use it outside my wi-fi network ( from my house ) even if the wi-fi network is disconnected I can't open it, it shows the same error.

Captura de ecrã 2022-12-19, às 17.17.05.png

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hey @André Filipe apologies on the delayed reply,

Could you advise if you're still encountering this error when launching the app?

If you are, could you try following the below:

1. If the app is running/open, Quit Designer 2
  2. Press CMD + Space to bring up spotlight search
  3. Paste in ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer 2/ and click on the Designer 2 folder in the search results
  4. Within this folder, delete the MRU.dat file
  5. Launch the app again to see if this prevents this connection error whilst working offline.

This issue relates to the apps attempting to re-connect to disconnected SMB shares when it launches when it shouldn't be, this is an issue logged with the developers.

6 hours ago, NathanC said:

Within this folder, delete the MRU.dat file

Just curious, but what does MRU stand for?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...

I had a similar issue when trying to boot Affinity Photo v2.0.4 on a new M2 Mac Mini running Ventura 13.2. 

I had networked with my old intel Mac over an ethernet cable with file sharing enabled and and operated on a remote file.

At a later date, when my M2 Mac was not networked/connected, I attempted to boot Affinity Photo and it gave the spinning beachball and a message telling me that “There was a problem connecting to the server ‘MyOldMac’”. And I could not get beyond the Splash screen.

When I deleted the MRU.dat file in: ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2/

as per the previous suggestion, I was able to boot Affinity Photo v2 offline as desired.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "App attempts to reconnect to disconnected SMB share on launch" (REF: AFB-7024) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.