You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Gradient issue just a couple more points to bring up....

This is part 2 of yesterday's gradient post that is now locked. I just want to mention a couple more things that I didn't get a chance to do.

Matt, My problem is I will often make a colour in the middle and then realize it needs to go on the end. Right now I am working on an illustration where I need three shades for the same colour. A darker part for the shadows and a brighter spot for the highlights. The way I have been doing it is I start with the midrange colour and then drag it to one end for the highlight and then to the other side for the shadow but the way it is set up now you can't really do that.

When you drag one colour to the end the previous colour at the end still stays there and it is very difficult to delete the original end colour. I found that I end up having to recreate the colours on the ends. This should be a quick drag and drop procedure with just a slight alternation to the colour's brightness. One way to do this would be if the middle colour could replace the colour at the end but then there might be some instances where you wanted to keep the end colour too.

It would be nice if we could converse on this issue a little before closing it please. There might be some compromise between what I am saying and what you are saying. I can understand what you were trying to do with the canvas bar maybe we can figure something out. It is the only area I have come across in Affinity Designer that acts clunky. Just about every other feature in the program seems to be executed fantastically.

Andy, I noticed something interesting when you use the canvas gradient tool. With the canvas gradient tool you can drag one colour on top of the other just like you said the colour that gets dragged over replaces the colour that was there previously. If you try to do the same thing with the gradient tools on the color button on the top tool bar the old colour doesn't leave. The furthest you can drag the swatch is to the 99% position. The ability to drag a middle colour all the way to 100% and replace the old colour is a much better way to do it. I can see some instances where I would like to swap the positions of the end point with the mid point like you can do with Illustrator, iDraw, etc.

Yeah, there is a bit of a consistency issue going on. Also I am not totally clear why there can't be a swatch at the end of the gradient bar. In iDraw having no swatch at the end doesn't mean that there should be no colour there but that the color closest to the end fills that space in. I am not sure if anything is wrong with doing it that way. I like this since you can keep both the middle and the (former) end colours while you are still in the process of juggling around where the colours final placement should be.

A couple of thoughts/questions/suggestions on the gradient panel.

I think the ability to copy a colour "point" and paste it onto another colour point to replace it would be a great time saver... in the panel or on the canvas.  Right now on the canvas if you try that it copies and pastes the whole object, not the colour of the point... and you end up with a second object right on top of the original one, which is understandable, just not desired in this instance.  ;) 

If you hit the copy button in the gradient panel it auto pastes in a new point to the right in the same colour. A better scenario might be it holds the colour until you paste it either on an existing point or a new point. The end point doesn't currently have the ability in the gradient panel to be copied, this isn't ideal especially if that's the colour you need... this panel could use some love I think guys to really make it a stand out.

KipV, for now I do most of my gradient fine tuning on the canvas as the panel doesn't seem as flexible or intuitive to me at the moment (see above)... you can even adjust the opacity of a colour point on the canvas by using the opacity slider with the point selected on either the colour or swatches panel... pretty sweet!

If I have any of this wrong please let me know, cheers!

Loving the app btw!!

"A better scenario might be it holds the colour until you paste it either on an existing point or a new point."

That is a good point. Add a paste button in case you want to replace a preexisting stop.

"The end point doesn't currently have the ability in the gradient panel to be copied, this isn't ideal especially if that's the colour you need"

Yes, the paste button might fix this whole problem and like you said there would need to be a way to copy and paste stops with the gradient canvas tool.