You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Would it break anything to have the Alt modifier key, when snapping is OFF, to temporarily turn snapping ON?

(This is about Designer 2.0.0 on Windows 10 but I guess it could refer to all the applications on Desktop OSes.)

At the moment, when snapping is ON (via the Toolbar button), holding the Alt key down temporarily turns snapping OFF.
However, when snapping is OFF, holding the Alt key down seems to have no effect (same message in the Status bar though).

It might be nice, if it didn’t mess with anything else, if while holding the Alt key down, while snapping is OFF, to temporarily turn snapping ON.

If this messes something up, or I am missing some important information, then I’d be fine with this just being ignored.

(I did a forum search for alt snapping but there are 14 pages of results so I might have missed an existing request for this.)

• 1 month later...
On 12/18/2022 at 4:59 AM, GarryP said:

It might be nice, if it didn’t mess with anything else, if while holding the Alt key down, while snapping is OFF, to temporarily turn snapping ON.

Here on Mac when I use the move tool (with snapping off) and I click and drag on an object I get a copy of it. Option is also used occasionally to assist with Colour Picking whilst using a brush. I am sure there are many other cases where we would lose useful (perhaps needed and necessary) functionality.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Here on Mac when I use the move tool (with snapping off) and I click and drag on an object I get a copy of it.

The copy functionality versus the suppression of snapping functionality depends on whether the opt/alt key is depressed before starting to click-drag or after starting to click-drag. The copying functionality of the key is independent of whether snapping is on or off.

3 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Option is also used occasionally to assist with Colour Picking whilst using a brush. I am sure there are many other cases where we would lose useful (perhaps needed and necessary) functionality.

A little rational thinking should let you see that allowing opt/alt key to invert snapping instead of just suppressing snapping would change no other functionality of the key that the apps currently have. For example, the currently available suppression of snapping functionality doesn't affect the picking of colours while using a brush, and so, logically, there is no reason that inversion of snapping would affect the picking of colours whilst using a brush.

11 minutes ago, ,,, said:

logically, there is no reason that inversion of snapping would affect the picking of colours whilst using a brush.

Kind of messes up the use of the Gradient tool though.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Kind of messes up the use of the Gradient tool though.

Does the presently available suppress-snapping functionality via opt/alt key mess up the Gradient Tool?

If yes, then what additional harm would come from allowing invert-snapping via opt/alt key?

If no, then what new harm would come from allowing invert-snapping via opt/alt key?