You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Copy/Paste sub-curve/sub-path as new curve

Here's another question regarding Affinity Designer:

When in the Node tool (A), one can shift+click to select multiple nodes. Is it possible, to copy such a selection (of sequential nodes), and paste it as a new curve?

A simple usage example would be the following:

You have a compound curve (destructively created) consisting of two closed curves, one is enclosed inside the other and you wish to extract the inner one into a new object (see image at the end).

Even though I could select the nodes of the inner curve, I couldn't find a way to copy/cut them.

The only way I could find was: 1.duplicate the compound object 2. select all the nodes that I don't want and 3. have them deleted...  Am I missing something? 

Thanks,

-Fotis

PS. btw I realized that I couldn't find a way to invert the selection of nodes - what if I had a complex object with 100s of nodes, and wanted to copy a strip of 5-6 nodes? would it be possible?

R94vDr7.png

• Staff

If you have a single object with a hole (a compound path), duplicate it (if needed) go to menu Layer ▸ Geometry ▸ Divide and delete the part you don't want.

If it's a compound shape, expand the compound in the Layers panel, right-click the element/path you want and select Duplicate. You can then move the duplicate outside the compound.

It's not possible to select just the nodes and create a shape from them. There's also no way to invert the selected nodes.