You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

QR Codes in PNG/SVG files are causing crash or storage error

3 hours ago, AndreasBER said:

One I include the files attached in a document Designer will not render a PDF, freeze or leave the elements uneditable.

Can you describe a little more precisely what you are doing (step sequence, PDF settings, etc.)?
If you are placing files and not screenshots, please provide us with one of the original files.

1 hour ago, AndreasBER said:

The original files are attached already to this post. I am inserting to pretty small png/svg files showing a qr code. Usage of these images causes Designer to fail producing a printable PDF. Also they will not be displayed properly in the document.

If I use the PNG images seen in your post, it seems to work fine here. For the PDF export, I used the default settings.

Are you sure that the QR PNGs are to blame? Can you provide the afdesign document? Maybe there are other critical elements in your layout.

They are to blame, but you are right also. Once I separated the page in a different file the elements did not cause any error. Obviously it's not too practical to split documents as a workaround.

We are talking about a 16 page document with mostly text and a few pictures that we have been using with smaller revisions for a long time already. Only if I include the two QR picture files trouble starts. Once I remove them from the very same document it's back to normal again.

There seem to be some general instabilities in regards of picture usage in Version 2 as I can see from other posts. 

Is the integrity of  the file header needed for legal reasons? If not, could you try and re-save the files as PNG in Photo (if needed, with the same names, but in another folder), [edit: probably even just re-saving them alone (exporting) in Designer].  and first delete any link or instance of the original  PNG files in your PDF, and then link the new ones or embed these newly saved ones (exactly in  the way you were including (link or embed) them that produced the crash) into the large pdf document, and see if it crashes now?

If you don't have Photo, still could try something. Like in the other possibility, for this test remove first all images/links/embeds (of these two images, of course, not all your images) from the large PDF document. Then, please link the images I am attaching, but again, just the way you did with the original files in the way they produced the crashes. Feel free to rename the PNGs, I just named 1a.png and 2a.png for using them easily. Please find them attached here.

I have just removed the DPI text chunk from the  header (I did not touch the pixel content at all). As this chunk is a bit  unnecessary for a PNG, and who knows if it might be causing the crash (also could be some non unicode character not read well in these headers, who knows. That's why re-saving in Photo could be a good option).

Edit: The forum code renames my PNGs when I attach them, making it a long name, but it does  not touch the header nor changes the image in anyway: rename them to what however you might desire.

2a.png

1a.png

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

If I were you I'd try both ways: re-saving the PNGs alone, individually, "exporting" the PNGs , be it in Photo or Designer, or the other way, using my attached PNGs, which, if you need to include other QR files apart from these two, would require knowing how to handle any tool that can read and let you edit file headers. Might need to learn to use those for future files, so. If the re-save method works for you, that's much easier. I used an old utility, "TweakPNG", to remove that header chunk.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11.