You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does Affinity Photo have a fixed ratio mode for Marquee Tool in v2?

What do you mean by a "fixed ratio mode"? Cropping in Photo certainly supports fixed ratios, but it has done so for as long as the Affinity applications have existed.

Misread the question. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The closest we can come to this with the Marquee tool is to hold down the Shift key while dragging to restrict to a square.

Otherwise ( Note that this has to be done on an empty pixel layer [otherwise you'll be dragging out a stretched/shrunk pixel selection of the pixels]) you can make a Rectangle (or any shape, ellipse, triangle, etc) of the desired ratio (1:1.25 or whatever) and then use the Select > Selection From Layer (and delete) then switch to the Move tool and drag one of the corners to get a variable (1:1.25 in this case) size selection.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Blake_S said:

You select the relative width and height, but can change the size of the selection while maintaining the same aspect ratio

Even easier than my earlier post.

Make a marquee selection on an empty pixel layer. Change to the move tool (Optional: and adjust the Height and Width to your ratio). Now drag one of the corners with the move tool.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Even easier than my earlier post.

Make a marquee selection on an empty pixel layer. Change to the move tool (Optional: and adjust the Height and Width to your ratio). Now drag one of the corners with the move tool.

While this does work, its a rather convoluted solution, plus still requires drawing a rectangle first to get correct ratio.

And no one actually answered the original question - was this functionality (fixed ratio mode for marquee tool) added in V2?

Judging by the responses, the answer is no?

I do not think there were changes between the versions.

One possible workaround could be using a rectangle with an opaque fill with a specific ratio and then placed in the back of the image upon which selections need to be made, and then copy pasting this rectangle and resizing and moving it as needed. Filled shapes can be used to create pixel selections, e.g. to crop faces from a group photo, so that images have the same ratio. If shortcut keys are used (Ctrl + C for copying the rectangle with correct ratio, then Ctrl + V (resize + positioning), Ctrl + Shift + O (make pixel selection), Ctrl + Shift + C (Copy flattened), Ctrl + Alt + Shift + N (Create from Clipboard), for each area that needs to be clipped, it could ease the pain a bit:

1 hour ago, Blake_S said:

Judging by the responses, the answer is no?

Correct – except for square selections as mentioned earlier which were also available in V1.

You can however, to add to the alternatives above, in either V1 or V2, use the Quick Mask functionality and the Move Tool together to resize a selection with a fixed ratio (watch out for ‘stretching’ of the selected pixels though).

17 hours ago, Blake_S said:

Never said anything about it. Talking about Marquee tool, to make selections.

Sorry; misread the topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1