You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please help. I can not work.

I have a computer, Windows 11, with a 4 gigabyte graphics card and 32 gigabytes of RAM. The publisher becomes slower and slower when working within an hour. All other programs work normally, except for the publisher. It goes so far that I can hardly type text in a text frame.

Can you load the task manager (while having the Affinity app also open), to see what is receiving the hit ? (GPU, CPU, Disk, memory). It is typically very useful to find out what is causing it. Also, reviewing your Affinity settings (Edit/preferences), and maybe trying different ones to see if it improves. Your system should work well for that config (it depends on what hardware generation and models, etc, but typically a 4GB discrete graphics card tends to be enough...)...And you have enough RAM.

To  load the task manager, hit the Windows Start button with the right mouse button, you will see a menu list, click on "run", then type "taskmgr" (without the quotes), and hit intro key or click OK. Now, in the task manager window, you will see there several columns, one with t he header "GPU", other with "disk", "Memory", etc. It is good to at least  have GPU, memory, CPU, disk. If for some reason you don't see any of them, right click on that header area, and in the popping menu tick the ones that you need that might be not checked. You can set in the top menu "Options" the "Always on Top" checked. So that it can stay in some top area (you can resize the task manager window to be only the top bar of the GPU, CPU, etc, headers, so you will always be seeing that info). This way  you can pinpoint what is peaking and when. The key is to see the affinity app row and watch its consume of gpu, cpu, memory, disk, etc.

Now, if this task manager window, you will see that  the second tab says "performance". Click on it if you want more detailed  information about how all these elements are performing.

A more detailed list of your system specs (cpu and gpu models, etc) could help greatly.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

One setting I'd try would be reducing the number of UNDO's to like 32, or 72 as much, in preferences. But  the main thing is to check what's happening in the task manager.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

And in that sudden moment of all becoming slow, you don't see any peak in the taskmngr.... yep, I don't  understand...

I don't understand German, but the GPU does not seem to appear listed there (in  the task manager), but it is, right ? (you can make it show up by right clicking in the headers area).

As can be definitively a GPU issue (in other apps, non affinity, I'd think of a memory leak...).

18 hours ago, Corgi said:

Can you see how much memory (RAM) the process is using once it becomes slow?

Yes you can. In the Task Manager, with Publisher selected, Right-Click on the Memory entry. You will get a menu, go to Resource Values>Memory. You can change it from Percent to  Values.

Here's a short video showing how.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD