You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2, no more drag 'n dropping of documents?

Seems to be an aspect of MSIX-based applications. I'm not sure if it's a Windows restriction, or a Windows bug, or the Affinity apps not supporting something properly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I just tried this and it works fine in Affinity Photo Ver 2.03.  I updated Affinity Photo yesterday and Windows last night. 

Edition    Windows 10 Home
Version    22H2
Installed on    ‎8/‎21/‎2020
OS build    19045.2364
Experience    Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

5 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

This does not work with V2 anymore. Why?

As an example: "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe"

Create a link of that file on your desktop. To make it look nicely, you can "borrow" the icon from the V1-exe or make your own icon.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

33 minutes ago, LostInTranslation said:

Was it msix or exe?

There is no exe or msi yet, only MSIX.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, joe_l said:

As an example: "C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityDesigner2.exe"

Create a link of that file on your desktop. To make it look nicely, you can "borrow" the icon from the V1-exe or make your own icon.

Yes, that works, thank you!
It's a bit tiresome, but I only have to do it three times ;-)

6 hours ago, LostInTranslation said:

You mean the beta, right?
Was it msix or exe?
This might really be the problem here.

Sorry, I mis-understood hat you were trying to do. I had the Affinity Photo open and dragged an image into the open program window. That worked fine.  

I just put a shortcut to Affinity Photo on my desktop, and cannot drag an image into the Icon.

I also cannot set "Run as Administrator" in that shortcut. It may have something to do with the fact that the Afinity Photo is an App not an Executable file. 

Hi All,

The Affinity Photo program is located inside a hidden folder (WindowsApps) in the path C:\Windows\Program Files\

Inside this hidden folder is a folder: SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPhoto2_2.0.3.1685_x64__3cqzy0nppv2rt (depending on the version, the name may be slightly different).

Inside this folder is the App folder and inside that folder is the Photo.exe file.

I made a shortcut to Photo.exe and placed it on my desktop. 

You can drag a photo into this icon and it will open the program with the photo loaded. 

I was also able to set "Run as Administrator" in this shortcut. 

While this seems to work, someone from Affinity should verify this is an appropriate method to open the program and this does not bypass something important. 

Hope this helps.

Paul

Edited by PaulieT
Forgot a folder