You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

No pixabay vector stock images for AP?

I never noticed this before and I wonder if this is a design decision ... Is there any good reason why the Stock panel browsing pixabay in Affinity Photo has no vector checkbox? Edit in AP from within AD is an additional step, so ...

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

@joe_l

I think it is/was a pragmatic consideration by the developers, since Affinity Photo is meant to be a photo and image editing/manipulation program.

And since Affinity Designer is designed as a classic vector design program and the Pixel Persona in the background, the Designer at Pixabay has been granted the vector selection.

By the way, this was already the case in V1!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

4 minutes ago, Komatös said:

By the way, this was already the case in V1!

I know (now). BUT. The Affinities are able to interpret both, vector and raster. Add a vector image in AD, embed it, use Edit in Photo and all the layers (horrible term IMO) are editable, even in AP.

----------

It is, what it is. By design!

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

1 hour ago, joe_l said:

I know (now). BUT. The Affinities are able to interpret both, vector and raster. Add a vector image in AD, embed it, use Edit in Photo and all the layers (horrible term IMO) are editable, even in AP.

But they are layers in a layer stack, stacked top to bottom. For images this is the perfect analogy in english at least. What would have been your preference in german/english I’m curious?

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Just now, Paul Mudditt said:

What would have been your preference in german/english I’m curious?

I like curious people (honestly)! :D

First of all: This layer nomenklatura is mostly valid for AD and APu, where a dedicated button at the Layers panel called "Add Layer" is shown, which adds a ... layer.

Secondly(? is secondly the correct word, school is long over?): Something showing up in a LAYERS panel would be per definition for me a LAYER. But the layer you can add from the button "Add Layer" is more a container, where you can move "things" into.

So I would separate a few things here: You can add a LAYER (container) and you can add an ELEMENT (e.g. a rectangle). Think of all the countless posts here, asking why there are no layers in a PDF, although "Include layers" is ticked in the export dialogue. To achieve a layer structure in a PDF you have to add a "real Layer" first and then move the "elements" into this "real Layer". Same thing for APu, where you can hide / show layers of linked documents. To make it work in APu with an .afphoto file you have to add "LAYERS" first in AD, switch to AP and move the "ELEMENTS" into this layer, save the file, place it in APu and only THEN you are able to show / hide layers of the .afphoto file.

Just my 2 cents on this matter, but I can live with the fact, that layers are not consequently layers. :D

----------

Hallo @joe_l

Es ist wie im deutschen Sprachgebrauch. Zum Beispiel: Was ist richtig? Ich habe die Lampe eingeschaltet oder Ich habe die Lampe eingeschalten.
Laut Duden ist beides richtig! Mir kräuseln sich aber die Fußnägel bei der zweiten Variante. Ähnlich wie "zusammengefaltet und zusammengefalten". 
Da bekommen ich immer Hirnherpes. 🤪

6 hours ago, joe_l said:

First of all: This layer nomenklatura is mostly valid for AD and APu, where a dedicated button at the Layers panel called "Add Layer" is shown, which adds a ... layer.

As you know, in the Affinity world a Layer is a specific type of container layer, similar in some respects to a Group layer. So the "Add Layer" button does exactly what it says it does; that is, adds a Layer, not a layer.

Obviously, this naming convention is potentially quite confusing, but I cannot think of a better name for a Layer container layer that would be better.

Do you or does anybody else have a good suggestion for a better name?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

6 minutes ago, R C-R said:

Obviously, this naming convention is potentially quite confusing, but I cannot think of a better name for a Layer container layer that would be better.

Other than Layer versus layer we could add a word like Container or Versatile or Super-Cool as a suffix.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

24 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Other than Layer versus layer we could add a word like Container or Versatile or Super-Cool as a suffix.

" Container Layer" or maybe "Layer(Container)" might be a bit less confusing but still seems to me a bit too long to be a good alternative.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

14 hours ago, R C-R said:

So the "Add Layer" button does exactly what it says it does; that is, adds a Layer, not a layer.

Exactly. We have a layer as a container and elements floating around in the Layers panel or being inside a layer. When you look at ID every element is inside a layer, not outside the layer as in the Affinities. As said, "Include Layers" in the export dialogue does mean the container layers will be included, not the element. So this is what I would call confusing if you are not familiar with the way the Affinities work.

----------

8 hours ago, joe_l said:

As said, "Include Layers" in the export dialogue does mean the container layers will be included, not the element.

Where do you see anything labeled "Include Layers" in the export dialogue?

Affinity Photo 

On 12/16/2022 at 4:02 PM, R C-R said:

Where do you see anything labeled "Include Layers" in the export dialogue?

Sorry, I mean "Include layers" of course. ;)

includelayers.jpg

----------