You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

An honest overview of AD/AP so far from a user

I just wanted to see if we can fix AD/AP as they are in their present stages and then maybe call them versions 2.0. Just make them solid apps with the feature sets they have now. I am sure the original and new users would be very pleased with this. As more and more users are jumping on this great bandwagon, seems more people are finding holes that should be patched before we move on with new features, no? Just my honest opinion. I believe there are still real old requests that haven't been addressed and to me this is all getting a bit discouraging.

i can only speak about ap, since don't use and don't have ad.

almost all the bugs and glitches i've found so far have been fixed at present, and those that are still there, well, i'm not sure they're not by design and i can live with them.

i do photo editing and retouching. i am not a professional. photography is my hobby and i understand that people using ap as part of their professional workflow may expect it to be bug-free and richer in filters and tools.

my job, however, is in the software field. i know that balancing between bug fixing and new features development is a hard path: whatever direction you choose, you can't make all of your customers happy. and the priorities you set along the chosen direction may not be the same of your customers.

i think that even the simplest software has bugs. i could not get my hands on a bug-free software until now, and i have been messing up computers for thirty years or so, now.

having two development teams, strictly cooperating, could be a strategy: one working on new features, and one on bugfixing. it's an expensive strategy, however.

in a word, i am satisfied with ap.

there are things i would modify, sometimes something doesn't work as expected and i could call that a bug, maybe. but it is far superior to any other photo retouching tool i tried (never put my hands on photoshop) and i'm happy i discovered it.

a certain priority on bugfixing could be a good thing, but maybe i'd be more excited about some new features (a lens flare filter, for example) and an evolution f some of those that exist already (a live haze removal filter and zoom filter, for example). maybe my preferences depend on the timeline...

take care,

stefano

"I believe there are still real old requests that haven't been addressed and to me this is all getting a bit discouraging."

Funny, that is how I feel about at least half a dozen apps, most of them several times more expensive than the Affinity ones.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I've been really impressed with AP in the couple of weeks I've been using it.

I'm a keen amateur photographer and for the price the functionality is really impressive. In particular the inpaint tool is simply astonishing. How it guesses details that are not in original photo I've no idea.

I've used Elements and Picasa up to now and starting out with AP and the helpful tutorials has inspired me to revisit and clean up images that I'd been a bit disappointed with.

"I believe there are still real old requests that haven't been addressed and to me this is all getting a bit discouraging."

Funny, that is how I feel about at least half a dozen apps, most of them several times more expensive than the Affinity ones.

osx in the first place :D

take care,

stefano