You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't Export PDF to RGB (only has CMYK option) in AD

I designed a book cover in AD, doc setup was RGB, but when I go to export to PDF/X-1a:2003 (to flatten transparencies) it only gives CMYK option. So, I created another new document (rgb setup), just added the front/back cover backgrounds (.jpg's) and tried it again. Only CMYK option in drop down arrow (which looks like crap). 

I think I tried every export setting to no avail (even saying use document profile).  Thank you anyone that can help.

This is the same on affinity v1. Doesn't look like a bug at all. From Wikipedia: "PDF/X is a subset of the PDF ISO standard. The purpose of PDF/X is to facilitate graphics exchange, and it therefore has a series of printing-related requirements which do not apply to standard PDF files. For example, in PDF/X-1a all fonts need to be embedded and all images need to be CMYK or spot colors. PDF/X-3 accepts calibrated RGB and CIELAB colors, while retaining most of the other restrictions of PDF/X-1a." All the Acrobat ones have rgb. Might want to do some research into the other types.

• 4 weeks later...

OK - After many, many, many tries I got what I needed for KDP (AND - the thumbnail on Amazon paperback looks good).  I used these exact settings in the pictures for a flattened RGB. Start with PDF > PDF (Flatten) and then change options as below pics.  FYI - my document resolution was 400 dpi while keeping template size accurate.

RGB flatten PDF options1.png

RGB flatten PDF options2.png

With PDF/X-4 (in Photo 2.0.3, but I guess is the same in Publisher)  it also can't be set RGB, and if left blank exports as CMYK. Yep, at least this one definitely should allow setting RGB color space, and a color profile (ie, Adobe RGB). Amazon -important with the boom of book publishing- requires PDF for the KDP hard cover, but I never was able to find if it needs PDF/X or regular PDFs (for the ebook digital covers I believe it is yet Adobe RGB color profile and TIFF). Still, PDF/X often avoids issues in the printing job. PDF/X-4 using RGB (and letting the RIP deal with it) is even a requirement for a good number of places now, for whatever. I myself got used through so many years to just have to export PDF/X-1a (which since always meant a CMYK file or spot colors), but I started to be surprised years ago when certain print companies, even "big" ones, started requiring PDF/X-4 and in RGB, Adobe RGB profile.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.