You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2 hangs on start AND reset when file server not available on MacBook M1 Pro

I am away from home so my TrueNAS file server (where recent documents, some macros, and some presets are stored) is not available. AF2 hung on startup complaining the file server was not connected. When I tried to ctrl-open it to reset, the reset dialog hung at various stages with the same message. It seems like AF2 is looking for something on the server before it will start OR even reset.

Do I have to delete and reinstall?

BTW, Affinity Photo v1 still starts and runs fine without the file server connection,

Thanks in advance!

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 8.56.09 AM.png

36 minutes ago, jdvoracek said:

I am away from home so my TrueNAS file server (where recent documents, some macros, and some presets are stored) is not available. AF2 hung on startup complaining the file server was not connected. When I tried to ctrl-open it to reset, the reset dialog hung at various stages with the same message. It seems like AF2 is looking for something on the server before it will start OR even reset.

So back home where the network server is available, Photo v2 finishes the reset and it appears the recent files list was causing the hang EVEN THOUGH I DIDN'T Open>Recent Files. There must be some populating of that list at startup, and if one or more of those files was on an (unavailable) network server, the startup just hung.

*** The take home message is, if you are going to open v2 in a setting where recent files on a network are unavailable, be sure to CLEAR the recent files list BEFORE you leave the network available environment. ***

• 4 weeks later...

I got this error too!

Here is how I fixed it:

Run Terminal and paste this code:

rm ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2/mru.dat

Note: This deletes a file which belongs to Affinity 2. I tested it and I could start and use Affinity 2 afterwards successfully, but I don't know what this can break in your settings etc. Therefore use it with caution!

Edited by Bykof

On 1/9/2023 at 10:44 AM, Bykof said:

Here is how I fixed it:

You should be able to do that using Finder as well, although I would make a backup of that file before trying it in case something goes wrong.

So for example in Finder open Go > Go to Folder... & enter ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2/ in the field that pops up & click the Go button. Use the duplicate command to make a backup copy & then move the original mru.dat file to the trash.

Do this with the app closed, restart, & see if the issue is fixed.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:44 AM, Bykof said:

I got this error too!

Here is how I fixed it:

@Bykofjust had to do this, and it worked fine. I just deleted the file, and I don't detect any side effects - - yet anyway .... TU!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @jdvoracek,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm this issue is logged with our development team and we're working to resolve this ASAP - our apologies for any inconveniences caused in the meantime! 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

The issue "App attempts to reconnect to disconnected SMB share on launch" (REF: AFB-7024) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1728".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

• 1 month later...

I can confirm this issue as well with Designer, Photo and Publisher 2,.0.4

I want to add two aspects related to file path handling defaults and below a suggestion how to configure them more clever:

1. The hang may also occur later during your work, not only during startup, when a second destination (on an SMB Server) is used for the Export Persona or for importing resources, not necessarily required in advance. This is when the missing SMB share is the default source for the dialogue! As soon as the dialog opens, the hang occurs!
  2. Affinity 2 (and 1) uses different pathes for loading and saving/exporting
    • It is not clear if these are or can be saved with the *.af** files and or export presets
    • Export presets remember relative pathes in the subfolder definition not very clever if the root, the source file is changed. Then a subfolder path like "Slices" is lost.

It would be nice to have a better handling of source and destination pathes as presets to speed up workflows.

• It would be nice to have both absolute and relative concepts as well.
  • Having the presets as simple YAML style config files (visible or invisible with a dotted Prefix residing in a parent folder of the source file would be a cool concept (JSON and XML are second clever for our audience). This way you can use inheritance from a master folder downwards.
  • To avoid confusion the behaviour should have an option "Enable default path configs" and a way to load, save and review them. Loading from a list, like the other presets.

Edited by acsr
Clarification of point 1, be more explicit

On 1/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, Bykof said:

I got this error too!

Here is how I fixed it:

Please make sure to edit your post to add quotes to the path or Quote the spaces with a prefixing backslash "\". Without it will not work!

Correct commandline:

rm "~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo 2/mru.dat"

# or

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Affinity\ Photo\ 2/mru.dat

# if you want to fix it for all 3 Affinity2 Apps:

rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Affinity*2/mru.dat

Edited by acsr

• Staff

Hi @acsr,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & thanks for your report!

I can confirm the aforementioned issue above has been fixed in our latest beta - which we are hoping to release to retail shortly.

If you wish to download and install the beta alongside your retail version in the meantime, you can find out how to do this here - 

If you have any further suggestions for future improvements for the Affinity apps, I'd recommend posting these in the following section of our Forums for our devs to see and consider - 

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/122-feedback-for-the-affinity-v2-suite-of-products/

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)