You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Typing numbers into size or position fields removes first digit

When typing a number into a size or position field (e.g. in Transform window or in Resize Document and Resize Canvas pop-ups), the first digit gets deleted in the instance I type the second. See my screenshots where I tried to type “800”. I’ve seen the “8” appear but vanish when I typed the first “0”

This happens regularly but not everytime, and it happens in all three Affinity Suite v2 apps on macOS 12 Monterey on M1/M1 Pro MacBooks.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 14.14.44.png

Screenshot 2022-12-14 at 14.12.05.png

• Staff

Hey musikinsnetz,

I cannot reproduce that, nor have I seen it reported before.

It sounds like it's being overtyped similar to how the Insert key works on a Windows machine.

Do you use any applications for managing shortcuts/clipboard etc.

22 minutes ago, Chris B said:

nor have I seen it reported before

It's been reported a few times.
I vaguely remember that it may be related to non-English languages and corresponding decimal separators, etc. 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, TomM1 said:

Please enjoy this related thread.

Oh, it's that bug, I didn't recognize it with a static screenshot. Thanks for catching this.

8 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've had a scout but couldn't find anything to go on. 

The only bell that is ringing for me is some fields overtype but you can see a trace of the old text. I think this was Light UI specific. 

I think this one has been reported a few times. I think it might be an initialization issue where it can happen on first use.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thank you all for your replies! I don’t know if it helps, but here’s some more information following up on some of the comments:

• no, I’m not using applications managing shortcuts or clipboards
  • my macOS and with it the apps are set to (British) English, but I have customised it to use non-English decimal separators, like so: 4.321,5 instead of 4,321.5
  • my Affinity apps are always in dark mode, in contrast to the light mode I chose for macOS
  • I have not found a way to securely reproduce the error. As I mentioned it doesn’t happen everytime and couldn’t figure out a trigger yet.

The dropping of the first digit is happening in all three apps with macOS Monterey (not Ventura) and it only happens when I double click on a value to change it and start typing in the new value. If I use the tab key to navigate to the desired field and begin typing in the value, it doesn't happen. If I click before or after the value, which automatically selects the entire value including the measurement text, I can start typing in the new value and the first number is also not dropped. In the attached screen recording I am attempting to type in the value 456. On the first attempt, you will see the 4 is dropped as soon as the 5 is pressed. 

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Typing in certain fields removes the initial character" (REF: AFP-5798) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1720".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.