You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Futurist style, https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/176510-futurist-style-or-thereabouts/&do=getLastCommentor thereabouts.

VectorVonDoom

• Staff

I really hope you change your mind @VectorVonDoom. Your contributions here have often been the highlight of my week. I'm extraordinarily impressed by what you've achieved, and have pinned this post for others to see what can be accomplished with Affinity Designer.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Just now, Patrick Connor said:

I really hope you change your mind @VectorVonDoom. Your contributions here have often been the highlight of my week. I'm extraordinarily impressed by what you've achieved, and have pinned this post for others to see what can be accomplished with Affinity Designer.

Give his Twitter a bump so Elon can find him

19 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

Thanks Patrick, I’m glad you like my scribbles (and other people too). But need to try and find some paying work so less scribbling. 

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

• Staff

That's some top grade work, Sir!

Why you going to leave us?  It's seeing quality like this that makes me remember why I toil away blood, sweat and tears working on the vector tools.

Hell - if it'll keep you around, I'll get to work cloning Buster Crabbe, so that we can make you lead artist on a new Flash Gordon movie serial.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

39 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

need to try and find some paying work so less scribbling. 

Best of luck, Marc. You have all the talent it takes. You're probably doing the right thing, because it takes 120% extreme focus to establish your brand and to sell your work. You've been generous enough so far - thank you for that. But now it's all about YOU!

Fingers crossed! 🤞🏻

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

43 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

But need to try and find some paying work so less scribbling.

I can understand and respect such decisions, since "...that's the way of cookie crumbles". Or in other words, volunteering on a forum (...in your case more freely unpaid scribbling) is time-consuming and ultimately doesn't pay your bills for making a living!

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

21 minutes ago, François R said:

Best of luck, Marc. You have all the talent it takes. You're probably doing the right thing, because it takes 120% extreme focus to establish your brand and to sell your work. You've been generous enough so far - thank you for that. But now it's all about YOU!

Fingers crossed! 🤞🏻

Thank-you.. Whilst the things I post on here are fun, well sometimes not so much fun when they drag on for any age!, I need to start doing boring stuff. Just have to work out what. I’m a whiz with the pen tool now so that’s a start 😅

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

I can understand and respect such decisions, since "...that's the way of cookie crumbles". Or in other words, volunteering on a forum (...in your case more freely unpaid scribbling) is time-consuming and ultimately doesn't pay your bills for making a living!

I do enjoy doing my scribbles and of course if others happen to like them that’s a bonus but no it doesn’t make you rich (at all). Vector can be time consuming that’s for sure but it’s no fun if it’s too easy.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

1 hour ago, Ben said:

That's some top grade work, Sir!

Why you going to leave us?  It's seeing quality like this that makes me remember why I toil away blood, sweat and tears working on the vector tools.

Hell - if it'll keep you around, I'll get to work cloning Buster Crabbe, so that we can make you lead artist on a new Flash Gordon movie serial.

Thanks Ben, it’s not as abstract (at all!) as most futurist work so a rubbish effort in that respect but I quite like them for what they are. I need to eat, at least once in a while 😆

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

1 hour ago, William Overington said:

You might perhaps like the links in the following thread.

Futurism in the 1920s

https://punster.me/serif/viewtopic.php?id=337

William

Thanks, I did read a bit, well really just looked at the pics. But if I every try another then perhaps I’ll get closer or not care and it call it art deco.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

Talent obviously is becoming less of a precondition that helps practitioners of the graphic design trade to make ends meet, which probaly applies to an increasing number of other crafts as well in today's world, that used to help people survive situations into which they had been plunged in by forces beyond their control. It's a sad global turn of events that hopefully will be directed in more beneficial directions soon.

Home: https://vectorwhiz.com  : : : :  Portfolio blog: https://communicats.blogspot.com

10 hours ago, VectorVonDoom said:

I do enjoy doing my scribbles and of course if others happen to like them that’s a bonus but no it doesn’t make you rich (at all). Vector can be time consuming that’s for sure but it’s no fun if it’s too easy.

I think it would be good for you, if you ideally could combine both things somehow. Meaning here, getting a paid full-time work as a graphic designer etc. by doing the sort of scribbling work you enjoy the most then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

14 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

I think it would be good for you, if you ideally could combine both things somehow. Meaning here, getting a paid full-time work as a graphic designer etc. by doing the sort of scribbling work you enjoy the most then.

So two jobs 😅I will try and get freelance work, not sure what type yet though. Millions doing logos etc so probably not a good plan.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

15 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

So two jobs 😅I will try and get freelance work, not sure what type yet though. Millions doing logos etc so probably not a good plan.

Nah, meant one job (freelance or fulltime) which offers you to do just the sort of drawing things you like & enjoy most. - Logos nope, most people nowadays try to do these themselves. Thus thought more of something in the area which matches & meets your individual drawing style & art. - So maybe something in the comics or movie domain, like for example the film opening and closing credits parts graphics, like can be continiously seen in "Star Trek: Discovery" & "The Mandalorian" etc. Or something in the car domain, which meets your realistic car drawing style and the like!

I think you know what I meant now!

5 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Nah, meant one job (freelance or fulltime) which offers you to do just the sort of drawing things you like & enjoy most. - Logos nope, most people nowadays try to do these themselves. Thus thought more of something in the area which matches & meets your individual drawing style & art. - So maybe something in the comics or movie domain, like for example the film opening and closing credits parts graphics, like can be continiously seen in "Star Trek: Discovery" & "The Mandalorian" etc. Or something in the car domain, which meets your realistic car drawing style and the like!

I think you know what I meant now!

I’m not sure the stuff I enjoy is commercially viable unless perhaps it was trying to sell prints. I’d need to decide on a style and stick to it. Good logos aren’t as easy as some people think but it’s a crowded market along with other brand identity things.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

1 hour ago, VectorVonDoom said:

Have you considered approaching businesses that produce cards of various types?

https://www.art-angels.co.uk/

https://www.greenpebble.co.uk/

https://www.papier.com/

William

Until December 2022, using a Lenovo laptop running Windows 10 in England. From January 2023, using an HP laptop running Windows 11 in England.

10 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

Is to work in construction, healthcare or education(here in NL).
Most artists are hybrid nowadays and even back in the day most were too, doing posters and cards and such to pay for the art they wanted to create.
Now you need a second or third job(if you count yourself marketing/promoting yourself as a job) no matter what, even with a degree in arts.

I will definitely look again about doing prints of my stuff, need to find somewhere who dropships glicee’s (not interested in cheap junk) internationally and not a silly price. If that works, as in there’s any interest, then I could just do what I enjoy which would be ideal.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

AI is coming strong for all of us (longer time for coders, but it will happen)... Designers will survive longer in their jobs (some of you will handle AI tools) than us illustrators (specially raster illustrators and digital painters, we're dead in the water). But the counter (imo for every creative job...even painters) of it is going the strong personal route (that or doing traditional, hand made art, imo). Some will find their way by streaming what they do (Twitch Art section is growing, and Youtube Live, would be clever to promote those with by tiktok/insta reels/yt shorts! (<-- big and fast organic growth, but pointing to the real content, not by themselves only) And Pinterest). This means, build a personality, a style that is recognizable as 'you', and almost as important build a community or following, people that gets to become familiar with you, your style, your written posts, too. Interact the more you can with them (there are limits; the graphic work is  the priority). Humans want to know about humans, otherwise they lose interest on the (machine made) product itself (I believe this social and psychological component is what these AI companies have not considered too much). So, going  the route of producing large scale, anonymous, unsigned cheapo stuff for stock art sites, or race to the bottom on fiverr or upwork... Besides that was never good (can be fine for now to get some bucks tho), I think that's what has zero future for most people, indeed. Making logos will yet be strong for a while (meaning if being able/skilled/trained to do brand stuff, really), IMO, because, at least doing that job right requires, besides a lot of knowledge and studies, a ton of human perception, soft skills, interaction with people, and stuff that AI cannot yet do, and for some time. I am not talking about small businesses that have their niece or the neighbor's kid doing the logo for the company, of course (those are already downloading the AI apps). You do your own stuff focusing on big traffic, but mostly that such people come to appreciate you and interact with you, too, imo, although at first that generates zero, so will need some more 'boring' (nothing is boring...) solid income.

That's my take after reading/absorbing tons of stuff about the new situation and mostly what is coming... at least, in the very not so nice scenario that comes now, and which imo has no precedent, in centuries. The silver lining is that now will really win the most creative ones, at least the long run (but yeah, in the meantime, one's gotta eat, and for that, anything is good enough, IMO. Also, I love working in whatever, so, that's a plus that a lot of us do have). I don't think it is super dramatic, but a big change is clearly needed (people comparing it with the swap from traditional to digital painting have absolutely no clue. This is another entire ball game, it's huge. And it will also affect most graphic professionals). I might be wrong, though, as the legal aspects and the society's reaction about all this are a big part of the equation, and those are yet to happen. 

Your work has a lot of soul and it is very good. I wouldn't be worried. But we need to build the right thing, IMO.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.