You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Free Image resources?

Would anybody know of a good website that provides images I can use in a book I am self-publishing. I see the majority of sites like Unsplash or Pexels have this statement in their License: "Don't sell unaltered copies of content, e.g. don't sell an exact copy of a stock photo as a poster, print or on a physical product."   I'm guessing my book would be a physical product? Or would I need to find the photographer of every single photo I use to get their permission? Thanks in advance. 

Why not simply alter the images?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thank you for the replies. I could alter images but I suck at it and am trying to save time. Being a noob at this I already have done multiple pages for my project with background images. I wonder if changing the color of the photo would constitute  altering it? 

I think what you are doing is fine with no modifications.
It seems the intent of the license is to stop people from just downloading the images and redistributing. Physical product sounds like they don't want you to just create a print of the photos that has no other purpose than being an art print.

If you are using the images as background images, it seems very well within the intended use of the photos on Unsplash.

All of the above is the reason why when the site was Public Domain, it was tremendously better. No sifting through licensing.

I did find a solution, similar to what Olivier.A mentioned above in case anybody else is also interested. Flickr and google search have advanced search options where you can search for images without any copyright or with a Creative Commons Attribution license. I have not checked Flickr and the google advanced search yet but this site seems promising:  https://wordpress.org/openverse/?referrer=creativecommons.org  They have the Creative Commons License. 

image.png.5b1e27198d2e016083f170fea6102dcb.png

On 12/13/2022 at 1:55 PM, Amdival said:

I didn't realize Unsplash was no longer a site for Public Domain images. Apparently that change was made years ago and I never knew. Eh, I guess good things cannot last forever.

Apparently you are correct. This is from the Unsplash License: 

• Photos cannot be sold without significant modification.
  • Compiling photos from Unsplash to replicate a similar or competing service.

So it looks like using Unsplash images in a book would be safe to do since I am not selling the images. 

On 12/13/2022 at 7:55 PM, Amdival said:

I didn't realize Unsplash was no longer a site for Public Domain images. Apparently that change was made years ago and I never knew. Eh, I guess good things cannot last forever.

Getty bought last summer or so, Unsplash. They are since monetizing Unsplash API, as it is use in a lot of design software. Reason why it also disappered from Affinity Photo.

8 hours ago, Row13 said:

Flickr and google search have advanced search options where you can search for images without any copyright or with a Creative Commons Attribution license

I'm using Flick for ages and forgot they have a huge program of Creative commons library.

The foundation : https://www.flickr.org/ 

The Library: https://www.flickr.com/commons

These are mainly old public images, shared from library of institutions.

• 5 weeks later...

what i read upslash is is free still when read licence terms. at least earlier when i asked their photos unaltered means mainly postcards and posters what they sayed to me. i think you should ask their details for licence. i think if you use it book is altered how i understanded their licence is partly your design not pure original image anymore but i recommend ask them becouse licence things are complex. tell you situation i bet they help as they helped me for my unique case.