You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Symbol allignment between artboards is wacky in affinity designer 2

I frequently use symbols across 30-40 art boards in one document. Each symbol is a group. The pages are bingo boards, so the symbols are arranged inside a grid in a different order on each page. After putting the symbols in the correct spot on the grid, I select a row or column and align the centers, then move the group to align with the grid. I do that over and over until the symbols are all aligned. 

In the past, aligning the symbols on one page did not affect the alignment on the other pages. Since switching to version 2, when I align the symbols on one page, it messes up the alignment on the other pages. 

Selecting things by using the pointer to make a box around them is also wacky. 

This is created in publisher using the designer persona. Once things are all aligned, I slip images into the the symbols and hide the numbers and boxes.

Of course, this is for a client due today. Ahhh!

test file.afpub

All the numbers appear to be aligned to the right side of the rectangles. Using the alignment tool will sort that out but will need to be done for each number and rectangle.

• The numbers appear to be set to the right side but can be corrected to be in the centre of the rectangle using the align tool. Do this after you have corrected the height of the symbols.
  • The height of the symbols are varied ranging from 1.757in, 1.749in and most are 1.75in which I assume is the correct height but this is enough to knock the layout out of alignment.
  • The width of the symbols are all the same @ 1.5in so that's good.
  • The black grid; which I guessing is also a symbol, is out of alignment too so personally I'd do away with it as it seems unnecessary and makes the layout harder to do.
  • Once the alignment and height issues have been dealt with you can align the symbols with each other to get a better grid layout
  • Not sure why you have a group within a symbol as the symbol itself is a kind of group, seems doubling up for the sake of it not for any particular benefit. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Thanks. I recognize those issues. I’ve fixed them in a later version, but this project was from the old version. I’m not sure what the issue was, but when I opened it in the separate program instead of inside publisher, things worked as usual. Thanks for your help. Those are good ideas for moving forward.