You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Move object to another layer

I really want to know this too. AI makes it easy - hopefully there is or will be a way to easily do this in AD.

MacBook Pro 15" 32GB RAM, iPad Pro 12.9" + Magic Keyboard, Apple Pencil.  Software tools of my trade: Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | PDF Expert | Drafts | The Archive | Plutio  

https://eandrpublications.com.au

Mr. K,

If you are simply moving an object (or a group of objects) from one layer to another then it isn't so different from Illustrator. As MEB said, just select the object (which you also have to do in Illustrator) and then simply cut, and then select the layer you want to move the object to and then paste and you're done. If you use the shortcuts then it is rather quick. Affinity Designer pastes things in place and so it is fast and easy. Give MEB's suggestion a try and I think you will see that it is quite fast. 

Best of luck,
Hokusai

• 3 years later...

I would second this request. In CorelDRAW I can simply drag an object to another layer without finding it in the layers pallet. I keep trying to do it in Affinity and it's annoying!

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

I second the request for easier moving of objects across layers. Now it is pain, right in my first project in Designer I got hundreds of objects in layers (I need the layers exported to PDF) and need frequently to move objects to a different layer. I naturally expected it was possible to grab the object and drag it to the Layers list to the target layer, but that does not work. Dragging from inside the Layers panel is pain due to the high number of objects. Cut-and-paste is still pain, because it forces me still to browse the Layers panel to click the right layer before paste; layers are usually expanded (esp after I've selected the objects for cut) so it is again slow browsing through hundreds of items. I suggest to implement one or more of:

- drag-and-drop objects into Layers panel to move object to target layer

- implement shortcut (either keyboard or combined with mouse) that would enable to move selected object(s) across the hierarchy of layers. A shortcut for move one-up or one-down would move the object(s) to the next/prev layer, by default positioning them as top in that layer, while also rolling Layers panel contents to show the target layer and the moved objects in it. Another shortcut could enable move to more distant layers by displaying a pop-up list of layers in which up/down arrows (or mouse gesture) would enable rolling over the list of layers to choose the target one. The same effect can be achieved in even simpler way - add "Move to layer" option to the right-click pop up menu on object, this item would open a submenu with list of layers to choose from.

The above would considerable ease the type of work I am pursuing - drawing an illustration that consists to large extent of a diagram showing some system logic, with components, data items, processes..

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...