You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Printing double page graphics

Hey,

I try to make a pdf for a printing company and I must deliver one page design (page by page).

The document I have is designed in double page design. I have graphics within, which go over two pages in the middle.

What is the best method to deliver "page by page PDF" using this double page design, BUT with the crop margin in the middle?

The problem is, if I just export page by page, I will not get the margin in the middle (between the double page). But without that margin, the graphics will not go completely to the middle. Just as on the outer borders, if I don't add extra margin there and fill it with the graphic itself, the graphic will not go till the very end of the page.

I hope it's clear what I mean :)

Best regards

affi

7 minutes ago, affinota said:

What is the best method to deliver "page by page PDF" using this double page design, BUT with the crop margin in the middle?

Try "Area: All Pages" rather than "Area: All Spreads" in the PDF Export options.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

23 minutes ago, affinota said:

But as I understand, it will just export page by page, but it does NOT add extra margin in the middle and fills it with a part of the graphic.

I may not be understanding what you need, but you can define inner and outer margins and inner and outer Bleed areas for a Facing Pages document. And they will be applied if you Export using the Pages option.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

it's difficult to explain.

So I mean the bleed of the document, because that bleed will be cut by the printing company.

The bleed areas on the double paged document are without the bleed in the middle. The inner bleed is just the left bleed. I can not see any inner bleed in the double paged document.

49 minutes ago, affinota said:

The bleed areas on the double paged document are without the bleed in the middle. The inner bleed is just the left bleed. I can not see any inner bleed in the double paged document.

If you are using Publisher and have a two page spread and you have set up bleed (usually 1/8th of an inch or 3mm) for all four sides of the spread then the inner bleed will be magically created when you export as single pages.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

If you are using Publisher and have a two page spread and you have set up bleed (usually 1/8th of an inch or 3mm) for all four sides of the spread then the inner bleed will be magically created when you export as single pages.

oh, but how can I control what part of graphic is in the inner bleed (between two pages)?

2 minutes ago, affinota said:

how can I control what part of graphic is in the inner bleed (between two pages)?

1 hour ago, affinota said:

I have graphics within, which go over two pages in the middle.

It will be the part which is not on the page but on the previous/next page.

Just try it out. 

Make a document put a picture spanning the two pages and then export a pdf including bleed and crop marks.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Make a document put a picture spanning the two pages and then export a pdf including bleed and crop marks.

hmm... if I do so, I see no crop between two (now divided) pages. The crop marks are just at the end of the graphic (between the former dual page).

33 minutes ago, affinota said:

hmm... if I do so, I see no crop between two (now divided) pages. The crop marks are just at the end of the graphic (between the former dual page).

Perhaps you could give us some screenshots, or a sample document (.afpub and .pdf) so we can see what you're seeing?

-- Walt
PC:

Have you chosen a PDF export Preset that includes the bleed? Does the Publisher Document have Bleed set?

1 minute ago, Old Bruce said:

Have you chosen a PDF export Preset that includes the bleed? Does the Publisher Document have Bleed set?

oooh ohh ohh! :D while experimenting on some settings I deleted the inner bleed.

So it works and as you said, it does some crazy magic! :D

THANKS!