You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher beta 2.0.3.1670 - file export: ambiguous zoom, some formats reset last used custom output settings

I found two inconsistencies:

1) Now also WebP and JPG XL support zoom 👍. Adding the hand/pan cusor is a good idea 👍. But only if the user knows the shortcut CTRL+1 it's now also possible to zoom to a 1:1 pixel preview for WebP, JPG XL. Eventually it might be better to add some distinct icons to the header or footer of the preview panel to promote all actions the user may execute ?

Moreover it's a little bit choppy sometimes when you try to zoom with CTRL+mousewheel or CTRL+1. The reason might be, that you have to ensure that the document preview rectangle is in focus. Meaning if you zoomed out to far and use CTRL+mousewheel to zoom in again or CTRL+1 for pixel preview you often get no feedback from the panel. Unlike in the normal document viewport where you can use the CTRL+mousewheel and all zoom shortcuts everywhere (outside pasteboard, on background) in the export dialog panel you have to explicitely target the document rectangle to zoom by shortcuts or mousewheel. Meaning first click or hover inside the preview thumbnail and then use mousewheel or shortcut.

This is counter intuitive because there is a 50% chance that a user might experience the zoom functionality as broken - not knowing that he has to zoom directly inside the visible thumbnail, not elsewhere.

image.png.98c80ead089efdb0c313facd94530247.png

2) Witin one usage session for some fileformats the dialog does not remember the just used last custom settings, e.g. interpolation, quality, lossless. If I do an export e.g. to WebP with 45% quality and bicubic -> OK -> save and open the export dialog for the second time all my last used custom settings are reset to the default WebP settings.

image.png.ab56c5b11e3a40bc7ed3032e041c69a3.png

For e.g. JPG the last custom settings are remembered with the next export dialog open:

image.png.cbb7e85c3bfc08321f7344a6b861305e.png

I guess this applies to all three apps.

Hardware: Windows 11 Pro (23H2, build 22631.3447, Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22688.1000.0), Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-14900K @3.20 GHz, 64 GB RAM, NVIDIA RTX A4000 (16GB VRAM, driver 551.61), 1TB + 2TB SSD. 1 Display set to native 2560 x 1440.
Software: Affinity v1 - Designer/Publisher/Photo (1.10.6.1665), Affinity v2 (universal license) - Designer/Publisher/Photo, v2 betas.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.