You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bitmap preview of SVG export - and some annoyances

François R

1. The export preview of SVG is just a bitmap - zooming into it reveals this. This is not what it should do, and some will get confused when looking at the edges. I just got... well... you know. A bitmap with jagged edges is not at all a preview of a vector file so... hm.
  2. Further zooming in with the keyboard is hit and miss in the dark with my non-uk keyboard layout, and the numeric keypad on a standard Apple keyboard is not supported - can't use the + and - keys there.
  3. If I alter settings in the advanced section the preview is redrawn... at the original zoom level so Designer zooms out from for example 250% zoom to 60% zoom. Every single time I change a value!
  4. And again zooming... you have to add UI control elements for zooming in and out.

image.png.ea81289929b26a77e2d07b8aeb22f187.png

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @François R,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 12/11/2022 at 3:15 AM, François R said:

The export preview of SVG is just a bitmap

I can confirm this is expected behaviour currently, the Export Preview will always be a raster interpretation of the document.

Further zooming in with the keyboard is hit and miss in the dark with my non-uk keyboard layout, and the numeric keypad on a standard Apple keyboard is not supported - can't use the + and - keys there.

I can also confirm that zooming in the Export Preview should only be possible for Raster formats, such as JPEG, TIFF etc - the latest update has corrected this

If I alter settings in the advanced section the preview is redrawn... at the original zoom level so Designer zooms out from for example 250% zoom to 60% zoom. Every single time I change a value!

I can however replicate this with Raster formats and I can certainly understand the annoyances this causes. I'll be logging this with our team for you now!

And again zooming... you have to add UI control elements for zooming in and out.

This is already logged with our devs as a requested improvement, and I will 'bump' this with your post now.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @François R,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm this is expected behaviour currently, the Export Preview will always be a raster interpretation of the document.

I can also confirm that zooming in the Export Preview should only be possible for Raster formats, such as JPEG, TIFF etc - the latest update has corrected this

I can however replicate this with Raster formats and I can certainly understand the annoyances this causes. I'll be logging this with our team for you now!

This is already logged with our devs as a requested improvement, and I will 'bump' this with your post now.

I hope this helps :)

Hi @Dan C

Thank you for your thorough feedback, the delay I fully understand.

Unfortunately, I can't use the raster preview of the vector for anything, as I can't really see if Affinity's output in particular the smallest details is converted correctly or appropriately to the output format. Preview is also for checking the output; now it's just a preview of what I export, not suitable for a quick inspection of the output and how it ends up technically when objects are baked etc etc to SVG or PDF. Let's call it algorithm conversion preview. Zooming in just reveals pixels.

There you have to open and review the output file separately. Not great, not terrible.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.

• Staff

No problem at all!

I certainly understand, I will be sure to pass this through to our devs also, as we're always looking for ways to improve the Affinity apps - and I can appreciate wanting to see an export preview in a vector format, when exporting to a vector file :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all!

I certainly understand, I will be sure to pass this through to our devs also, as we're always looking for ways to improve the Affinity apps - and I can appreciate wanting to see an export preview in a vector format, when exporting to a vector file :)

Thanks @Dan C 🙂