You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard created by Selection shift objects by 1 pixel

Actually it also means the created artboard adds 1 pixel to the left or on the top. It's a random behavior. So far the bug only happens when I select vector objects to create artboard. Even for the same file and same object, sometimes it's fine, sometimes it shifts to x, sometimes it shifts to y, sometimes both. I also experience the same problem when exporting files to SVG. (the SVG shifts 1 pixel. Even worst, it can be all directions. And objects can possibly be misaligned)

Please pay attention to the xy coordinate of the vector objects from the transform panel at the bottom right corner from the recording.
(I used ctrl-z to do several tries with same object and file.)

It shifted 1 pixel to y at 0:09 and to x at 1:01, but didn't the other tries.

It shifted at 0:16

Open the attached file and select the larger vector object > Insert Artboard (Selection). Then you will be supposed to see the problem. But if you do other actions (e.g. delete or move any objects), then you may see other results. pixel shift b.afdesignpixel shift a.afdesign

This bug maybe related: 

System:
Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH i7-9750HF

RAM 16GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX2060
Windows 11 Home 22H2 22623.1028
Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.22638.1000.0

15 hours ago, KarlLegion said:

Actually it also means the created artboard adds 1 pixel to the left or on the top. It's a random behavior. So far the bug only happens when I select vector objects to create artboard.

I selected the rounded rectangle and toggled its x, y coordinates from the displayed 0, 0 to 1, 1 and back to the zeros. I did the same for the height and width, using the up and down arrow keys and the transform panel. There was subsequently no shift by a pixel when I made an Artboard from the selection. 

This could be a bug could be a simple misalignment problem. I suspect the Move by Whole Pixels being set to On even though the snapping is turned off.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Hi @Old Bruce, according to your reply, I have done some studies.

6 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

I suspect the Move by Whole Pixels being set to On even though the snapping is turned off.

The Move by Whole Pixels was not activated. Looking at the transform panel from the recording below, my initial fractional x coordinate changed to integral while I was dragging the object. It's snapped to 0,0 at the end(Indicated by the coordinate and the red and green lines.) and the object didn't shift after the artboard was created.

I did exactly the same but the object shifted to 0,1 this time.

Looking at my another recording, at first, the object was snapped to 0,0, the artboard shifted it to 1,0. Then I set it to 0.001,0, the artboard didn't shift it. It means the artboard won't shift any objects to an integral value, no matter it's original value is fractional or not.

The conclusion is, even if the "Move by Whole Pixels" was faulty, the object shouldn't have shifted by a whole pixel. Unless the bug is related to alignment/snapping. To be specific, which is when we align the object by dragging, even if it shows that the object is snapped to 0,0, actually it may not be, but a fractional value close to 0,0.

Here is a clue. I managed to recreate similar condition which can shift my object to 1,0 (at least shown on the display).

1. set x to -0.0000001 (any negative values close to 0 more than 6 decimal places so it will be rounded to 0)
  2. create artboard by the object
  3. The object was shifted to 1,0

Because the artboard will shift the upper-left-most object to the closest positive coordinate by integral value (i.e. 1,2,3... pixels), -0.0000001+1=0.9999999 which will be rounded up to 1, the coordinate showed 1,0 which had the actually value of 0.9999999,0.

• 1 month later...