You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers and selected objects

Bonjour à tous.

Est-il possible :
- d'éviter le déploiement du contenu des calques lors de la sélection d'objets
- de déplacer des objets sélectionnés d'un calque vers un autre par glisser/déposer (ou les copier)

- de créer un nouveau calque et y affecter les objets sélectionnés (par copier/coller ou couper/coller...) ?

Sinon ça pourrait être utile :)

Hello to all.

Is it possible :
- to avoid expand the content of layers when selecting objects
- to move selected objects from one layer to another by drag and drop (or copy them by drag and drop)
- create a new layer and assign the selected objects to it (by copy/paste or cut/paste...) ?

If not it could be useful :)

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

31 minutes ago, uneMule said:

- to move selected objects from one layer to another by drag and drop (or copy them by drag and drop)
- create a new layer and assign the selected objects to it (by copy/paste or cut/paste...) ?

Are you suggesting allowing that on the canvas, rather than via the Layers panel? Because both of those are certainly possible in the Layers panel, if I understand your request.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, uneMule said:

Is it possible :
- to avoid expand the content of layers when selecting objects

Hi @uneMule

Yes, deactivate auto scroll from the layers panel:

del.png.461d0f8a22d288dabfcfc750eed08edd.png

Note that Designer actually handles selection of items into groups quite elegantly. Make sure nothing is selected, and then you can observe this:

* Click on a member of a group (out on the canvas): the group is selected in the layers panel (but not expanded even with auto scroll enabled)
* Click again: the item is selected and the group expanded

and this is how you move down the hierarchy in the layers panel when selecting items on the canvas.

Also remember that with an element selected (and auto scroll disabled), Designer jumps to it in the layers panel (expands) when you press control + K.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

12 hours ago, François R said:

* Click on a member of a group (out on the canvas): the group is selected in the layers panel (but not expanded even with auto scroll enabled)
* Click again: the item is selected and the group expanded

Hi @François R Merci pour l'info. Par contre le clic sur le groupe etc. ne fonctionne pas... ou c'est moi 😀

Thanks for the info. However clicking on the group etc. doesn't work... or is it me 😀

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000

12 hours ago, François R said:

Click again: the item is selected and the group expanded

If you are using the move tool (V):

Selecting an individual item which is grouped requires a double-click unless you are already "inside" the group (ex. if you have an individual item selected which is inside of a group, a single-click on a different item within that same group will select just that item - but if you single-click an item from a different group which is not a parent of the group you are working in, you will switch to selecting that group instead).  If you do this very quickly after clicking on the group it might register as a double-click and work, but if you single-click to select the group, then single-click again on the object (with too much time between) it will not select the individual grouped item.

Note that if you double-click on an individual selected item (rather than on an item whose group is selected) the Affinity apps switch to the node tool.

If you are using the node tool (A):

A single-click always selects a single item, even if that item is in a group.  Groups are basically ignored when selecting items using the node tool.

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Are you suggesting allowing that on the canvas, rather than via the Layers panel? Because both of those are certainly possible in the Layers panel, if I understand your request.

Hi @walt.farrell

oui. pour l'exemple j'ai volontairement déstructuré le dessin pour le réorganiser. Si je sélectionne tous les tracés de contour noir, il serait intéressant de pour voir créer un nouveau calque et indiquer que ce nouveau calque accueille les objets sélectionnés. Plutôt que de créer un nouveau calque et déplacer les objets (couper/coller) sur le noveau calque.
Ou, comme vous le mentionnez dans votre retour, de pouvoir glisser déposer les objets sélectionnés d'un calque à l'autre, les déplacer ou les copier. Encore faut-il que la sélection soit matérialisée sur les calques. On pourrait ajouter un repère graphique qui représente "la sélection" et que l'on pourrait cliquer/glisser d'un calque vers l'autre.

Yes. For the example I have deliberately destructured the drawing to reorganise it. If I select all the black outlines, it would be interesting to create a new layer and indicate that this new layer will hold the selected objects. Rather than creating a new layer and moving the objects (cut and paste or other) to the new layer.
Or, as you mention in your feedback, to be able to drag and drop the selected objects from one layer to another in the layers panel, move them or copy them. But the selection must be materialized on the layers. It possible to add a graphical marker that represents "the selection" and that you could click/drag from one layer to the other.

Capture d’écran (199).png

Toujours pas !

11 minutes ago, fde101 said:

Note that if you double-click on an individual selected item (rather than on an item whose group is selected) the Affinity apps switch to the node tool.

Hi @fde101

Oui et est-il possible d'alterner entre plume et outil nœud pendant le tracé pour par exemple ajouter des points sur le tracé actif ?

Yes, and is it possible to toggle between pen tool and node tool while drawing, for example to add points to the active path?

Toujours pas !

42 minutes ago, fde101 said:

If you are using the move tool (V):

Selecting an individual item which is grouped requires a double-click unless you are already "inside" the group (ex. if you have an individual item selected which is inside of a group, a single-click on a different item within that same group will select just that item - but if you single-click an item from a different group which is not a parent of the group you are working in, you will switch to selecting that group instead).  If you do this very quickly after clicking on the group it might register as a double-click and work, but if you single-click to select the group, then single-click again on the object (with too much time between) it will not select the individual grouped item.

True, I remembered this as just a single click, but point was, it doesn't auto expand. You have to work for it 🙂

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

33 minutes ago, uneMule said:

toggle between pen tool and node tool while drawing

There are keyboard shortcuts to both: "P" switches to the pen tool, "A" to the node tool.

Watch also the status bar along the bottom of the window: holding down the command key (on the Mac - it will be some other key if you are on the other platform) with the pen tool selected gives you the node tool while it is held down.

11 minutes ago, fde101 said:

There are keyboard shortcuts to both: "P" switches to the pen tool, "A" to the node tool.

Oui, effectivement. Question d'habitude :)

Yes, indeed. A matter of habit :)

Toujours pas !