You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preserve Alpha disappears in Live Blur filters

When using the Live Gaussian Blur, the preserve alpha checkbox is available when it is added. After closing and opening it again, the preserve Alpha checbox disappears? (Same happens with box blur and probably with other blurs too)

image.png.f33b90360d67016ddd5168c1de629e5f.png

Also interesting enough, after pressing the merge button, the filter is blocked for editing (the edit dialog does not come up) until you select another layer and switch back, then the edit dialog comes up again?

BTW any idea what the merge button does??

2 hours ago, Zero1 said:

any idea what the merge button does??

It applies the filter destructively on the next pixel layer below.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, loukash said:

It applies the filter destructively on the next pixel layer below.

Thank you for clearing that out.. that was also my expectation (destructively applied(, however as i am mostly working with image layers, nothing was happening. Pixel layer was the magic word here :)

I would suggest that when the filter is a child of an image layer, to hide this button or have the image layer rasterize to pixel (with a warning from assistant), which would make more sense. Secondly it is kind of strange behaviour when the (blur) filter in on top of image layer and a pixel layer is below it. The image layer gets blurred when merge is pressed, it skips the image layer and merges with the pixel layer below. It makes sense but i don't think that is expected behavior.

3 minutes ago, Zero1 said:

I would suggest that when the filter is a child of an image layer, to hide this button

No, because you can also have another pixel layer as a child of the image layer, and you may want to merge the filter into that one
The possibilites are immense. :) 

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 minute ago, loukash said:

No, because you can also have another pixel layer as a child of the image layer, and you may want to merge the filter into that one
The possibilites are immense. :) 

Haha, that is true, but still think it is detectable whether the merge is going to apply to the "parent" image or a child pixel... (at the end it applies to something and is processed if applicable, so it can be detected too...). Maybe hiding the button would case confusion (why not shown etc), but rasterizing the image layer would make sense.

26 minutes ago, Zero1 said:

hiding the button

Hiding something is a bad UI idea. If a function is unavailable, then it has to be "grayed out".

4 hours ago, Zero1 said:

When using the Live Gaussian Blur, the preserve alpha checkbox is available when it is added. After closing and opening it again, the preserve Alpha checbox disappears?

Getting back to your original question, which I think we have not addressed: The Preserve Alpha checkbo does not disappear on Windows when the Live Filter layer is closed and reopened. At least for the file I tried it on.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, loukash said:

Hiding something is a bad UI idea. If a function is unavailable, then it has to be "grayed out".

You are completely right! Which brings us to the original question :) A checkbox is being hidden without reason... which is bad :)

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Getting back to your original question, which I think we have not addressed: The Preserve Alpha checkbo does not disappear on Windows when the Live Filter layer is closed and reopened. At least for the file I tried it on.

That is why this post is in macOS Beta forum :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[macOS] Preserve Alpha box and label vanishes after calling dialog a 2nd time" (REF: AF-61) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.3.0.2083".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.