You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm no expert. These are just my opinions. I represent no one else but myself.

But from what I can tell, you must have brought in your image by using the place image command. If you notice your layer type, (in parenthesis on the layer in the layers panel), it identifies the layer as an image layer. The 'select sampled color' only works with a pixel layer, from what I can tell. If you select the image layer and select the 'layer-rasterize' command, your layer will change to a pixel layer and the select sample color command will work. 

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have AD version 1.5.2 on windows 10. I have been having a battle with this too and crabtrem is correct (helped me thanks crabtrem). I was doing this tutorial "Custom Smoke Brush" I tried copying from clipboard & then "select sample color" that doesn't work. Then tried to "rasterize" this clipboard image that doesn't work either if it's from the clipboard(there may be a way but I couldn't get it to work from clipboard) even though it was now a pixel layer.

However doing what crabtrem said & using the "place image" tool then rasterizing it did work, it changes in the layer panel from an image layer to a pixel layer. Also opening it as a new file also worked. It seems it needs to be saved on your computer first & be a pixel layer before the "select sample color" tool will work properly. I'm no expert either, this is just what worked for me.

Just adding my 2 cents worth in case someone else has problems.

Motto - STUPID HURTS!