You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[FIXED] 2.0.3.3: Crash on PDF/SVG/EPS export preview

Created a quick example document (for this post elsewhere) that involves a simple Warp Group on artistic text, then added Live Perspective on a placed image in Photo 2.0.3.316, then back to Designer and resized the whole group.

Attempts to export the saved document as PDF, SVG or EPS – i.e. involving vector objects – result in crash while the export preview is being generated.
That affects all three current betas.

No problem exporting bitmap formats.

Also, no problems *) exporting the same document as PDF/SVG/EPS with the regular 2.0.0 versions.
*) Well, apart from the fact that the EPS and SVG export produces a totally unusable result…

MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (19H2026)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)
2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1 GB
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Metal in Perfomance preferences is active.

Attaching the example afdesign doc and all crashlogs:

aff2beta_jazz_20221209.afdesign.zip

aff2beta_crashlogs_jazz-20221209.zip

P.S. As requested by many users (myself including, I think) in the past weeks, the export preview should be optional.
Bugs like this are exactly the argument why, because there's no workaround to avoid the preview.

P.P.S. Wasn't able to upload the 6.4 MB afdesign doc. Had to zip it first.

Edited by loukash
fixed in 2.0.3. final release

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

10 hours ago, loukash said:

the export preview should be optional.

I, too, think it would help to "firewall" the preview from the rest of the export feature. I can imagine, from time to time, there will always be some rendering problems and this should not take the whole export window down.

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

@loukashYour test file crashes for me too when trying to generate the preview in the current beta but is fine when exporting it from the retail version.
So looks like something got broke in the new beta…?
I’m not sure that this bug is Metal related though this time, as it still crashes after switching to OpenGL, etc…

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

2 hours ago, markw said:

it still crashes after switching to OpenGL

Yes, I tried that, too.

2 hours ago, markw said:

looks like something got broke in the new beta…?

Seems so.
I haven't yet tried to reproduce it with a different document though.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

@loukashI did try looking to see what part of your file was the culprit by copying the diferent groups out of v2 into new documents in v2beta.
And it looks like it is the Image Warp group, "pexels-photo-733767.jpeg" that is the cause.
Just that group on it's own in a new v2beta document causes it to crash.
In fact just turning Off the Warp layer in the 'pexels-photo-733767.jpeg' group will allow your test document to export without crashing in v2beta.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

6 minutes ago, markw said:

In fact just turning Off the Warp layer in the 'pexels-photo-733767.jpeg' group will allow your test document to export without crashing.

Interesting.

I'm not at my v2 installation at the moment, but when I recreate the example in v1without the vector Warp Group, of course – it still exports just fine.
Even more interesting: v1 can handle the SVG/EPS export much better than v2b!

5 hours ago, Sean P said:

I can reproduce it on a new document in Photo, just by applying a Live Perspective Filter

That's true: just a blank document and a blank perspective filter will crash on PDF export.

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.