You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In regards to doing simple "pencil sketches," is there very much difference between Photo/Designer V1 and V2?

I actually own both versions of the programs. But I'm looking for a bit of a heads up as to what to watch out for. Things I might not notice right away.

Are the brush settings about the same? Are the available brushes about the same? Do the brushes behave in a manner similar enough that I can easily transition from sketches started in V1 to filling in more detail and finalizing in V2? I've watched the "New Features" videos, and read the "New Features" lists. There doesn't seem to be any mention of any differences in this regard. Unfortunately, I had not owned the V1 products long enough to really get a chance to try sketching in that version, before V2 came out.

I won't be doing any fancy tricks in V1. I just want to lay down some basic, rough, initial, pencil sketches for some ideas for projects to build or storyboards for videos to make.

I have yet to decide whether I will be doing said initial sketches in Photo or Designer. But I do know I will do them in pixel mode, rather than with vectors (or even "vector brushes"), because I want as little friction between having the ideas in my head and getting them down "on paper." I can clean them up later.

Why would I even want to start a sketch in V1, then finish it up in V2? I hear you ask. Well, it has to do with one of my previous posts: The kinds of sketches I do will be greatly helped by the use of perspective guides. Affinity products do not have a built in "perspective guides" feature. This functionally can be added via a tool called Lazy Nezumi Pro. Unfortunately, that tool will not work with programs that run in a "sandbox," as do the V2 programs. At first, I had thought I would have to draw my initial sketches in Krita 5.x, because Krita has perspective guides. But then that would mean learning an entirely different program just for my sketches. When I discovered Lazy Nezumi Pro, at first I thought I would have to wait for the .MSI installer to come out for the V2 products. But, then I realized I could reinstall the V1 products and do my initial sketches in them, using Lazy Nezumi Pro. Then I can migrate them to V2 for any further work. (I know, permanently.)

This would only really be a stop-gap measure. After the .MSI installer comes out, then after Lazy Nezumi Pro gets adapted to the V2 programs, I will be able to uninstall the V1 products and just do everything in V2. But, at least this will keep me from needing to learn all the complexities of pencil brush design in two different programs. At least I hope so...

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2022 at 11:49 PM, Grant Robertson said:

This functionally can be added via a tool called Lazy Nezumi Pro. Unfortunately, that tool will not work with programs that run in a "sandbox," as do the V2 programs.

You have three options:

• You can wait for Serif to provide the MSI. It won't be long now.
  • You can wait until Lazy Nezumi can handle sandboxes. This can take a long time.
  • There are several threads in the forum where you can find solutions to the problem. Search the forum (Keyword: e.g. App Execution Alias). I don't have a link ready at the moment.