You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Tools not visibly changing size

I have been having problems with the tools not visibly showing their size or visibly changing size. Sometimes when I choose a tool, such as: paint brush, clone tool, erase tool, inpainting tool, etc, it just shows up as a crosshair. When I use the bracket keys to make it bigger or smaller it doesn't appear to change in anyway - it just shows the crosshair. The size counter on the toolbar registers higher or lower as you press the keys but the crosshair still remains. It makes it very disorienting - and it's almost impossible at times - to try to work. Is anyone else having this problem and is there a way to make it not do this or correct it when it does happen? Thank you in advance.

Hi @MtnMojoLee

Goto Edit -> Preferences -> User Interface, and maybe "Always show brush crosshair" is ticked. Untick it.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

Also, check to see if the Caps Lock on your keyboard,  is on, this will prevent the Brush circle being visible.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

I also have this problem in Photo V2.  Once I have selected the paintbrush tool and resized it with the bracket key [[[ and try to use it it reverts to crosshairs.  The "always show brush crosshair" option in settings/interface is turned off.  The caps lock key is not turned on.  I am using a macbook air with M1 chip.  Any ideas?

Tried the same operation in V1 and it works fine.

Edited by Paulitsio
more information

Thank you so much for the responses. I went to the User Interface and the "always show brush crosshair" was already unchecked. Then I turned the "Caps Lock" on and off and that was it!! I turned it on and off several times and whenever I turned it on the crosshair showed up. Do you know why they put that into Affinity Photo? Why would someone want just the crosshair without being able to see the sizes your brush is at? And why did they connect it to the caps lock? Anyway, thank you all so very much for responding and helping me to figure that out. I never would have guessed that it had anything to do with the caps lock.

13 hours ago, MtnMojoLee said:

Do you know why they put that into Affinity Photo?

People asked for some way to have the crosshair visible all the time without the brush outline. A whole lot of people. Seems to me the Caps Lock key is an elegant solution, no one is typing that much when using brushes and it is the only key that will stay 'on' that is on all keyboards. Completely optional which I like a lot.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.