You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Besides using the built in Media Browser, you can also open image files in the Apple Photos, iPhoto, or Photo Booth application libraries using the regular Open menu item in Affinity. To do this, you must have the Sidebar visible in the standard Open dialog window.

In the Sidebar, scroll all the way to the bottom, where you will see a heading called "Media," & below that a subheading called "Photos" with a little camera icon. Click on that & you will get a display very much like the Affinity Media Browser window, as shown in the attached screen shot.

This works with several other apps besides the Affinity ones -- any app that uses the standard OS X open file API & has been updated to recognize these libraries should show the Media sidebar item & below it subheadings for the kind(s) of library media it can open (Photos, Music, Movies, etc.).

post-3524-0-09110100-1454237323_thumb.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

R C-R . . . . . I tried the "Media Browser" to locate photos in my Photo library but the only photos that show up are (at the most) 379 Photos from 2007.  My Photo Library contains approximately 36,000 photos from 2001 through present day.  They are stored as "Projects" that are titled by year (et al: "2001 PHOTOS" -- "2002 PHOTOS" etc. etc. etc).  Under the "Media Browser" in Affinity it shows a line titled "YEARS 2007 - 2016" leaving out about 5 years of my folders.  No matter where I go in "Media Browser" the most photos in any folder (2007 PHOTOS) are about 389 (at the most) and the only folder that shows up is from 2007.  As I am on the "Trial" for Affinity I don't see me purchasing this product if I cannot even figure out how to access photos in my own library.  I pretty much understand the photo manipulation part of this program as it is very similar to Photoshop which I worked on for years as the manager of photo labs for daily newspapers for about 20 years.  So I am familiar with that part.  But if I cannot figure out the simplest part of the procedure -- getting photos out of my library to work on -- the program is pretty useless to me.  Any suggestions?  I do appreciate your help.  Hoping to hear from you.

Apple's Photos app has an option to either import photos into the Photos library or just references to them, leaving the files in their original location. This Apple Photos help topic explains more about that. I'm not sure since I don't use referenced files, but I think they do not show up in the Affinity Media Browser or in the Media sidebar selection method (which is a feature supplied by OS X itself, not Affinity).

Also, you can have more than one Photos library, but only the items in the one designated as the System Photo library will show up in either media-based selection method.

Some problems can be fixed by repairing the Photos library.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7