You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher ‘keep with …’ options for character styles?

So I ran into the following issue. I have endnotes going, and in one case body copy will just push the note reference (the number in the body copy) onto the next line, where it then sits seemingly unattached to anything, and the word where it should have been now seems to have no reference attached.

This should be fixed – and can be fixed – by inserting a zero-width non-joiner (U+200C) glyph between the body copy word and the note reference. To deal with this systematically, that would mean that I would have to do a find & replace on these references after the document is finished, and then insert U+200C between all the referenced words and their numbers. That is a mess.

So I’m asking if there is something like a ‘keep options’ for Character Styles like there is in Paragraph Styles? That would handily take care of this issue. I can’t find such a functionality, so I suggest that such a function be  included in future versions of Publisher.

(NB: If I have missed a way to fix this do let me know. This is my first week in Affinity land ;)

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 13.11.06.png

Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 13.11.15.png

The note number shouldn't be wrapped to the next line so you shouldn't have to deal with this. I haven't seen this happen myself and I tried to force it just now and couldn't make it happen.

But how did you create note references with "3,27"? Publisher only numbers endnotes sequentially. Perhaps turn on Text > Highlight Fields and take a new screenshot so we can see where the actual note reference fields are?

Thank you

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

2 hours ago, MikeTO said:

But how did you create note references with "3,27"? 

Just guessing that they are two notes.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 hour ago, Old Bruce said:

Just guessing that they are two notes.

The previous footnotes are 25 and 26 so I suspect the 3 was typed manually which is why I asked for Show Fields.

I didn't notice that Publisher 2 lacks an automatic separator between multiple footnote references, as least as far as I can find. If you insert 1 and 2, you'll get 12 together. You have to type the comma and superscript it manually. I think Publisher should have an option to separate multiple footnote references with either a space or comma. InDesign doesn't have this feature either and its help system specifically instructs you to type a comma and superscript it but Affinity's help is silent on this. Again, maybe it's there and I'm just not seeing it.

One thing InDesign lacks that Publisher 2 now offers is footnote numbering across a Book. In ID you have to restart your footnote numbering manually for each chapter while Publisher will sync footnote numbers across a Book.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

On 12/9/2022 at 10:23 PM, MikeTO said:

The previous footnotes are 25 and 26 so I suspect the 3 was typed manually which is why I asked for Show Fields.

Indeed, the reference '3' was entered manually. If breaks are not supposed to happen between body and reference, then how do I copy an earlier reference (in this case '3') to an additional location (in this case together with the '27'? I’ve tried copying the reference '3' (the first and working one), but that just creates a new reference '24', so no good.

I want a method to make more than one reference to a (foot|side|end)note in the body copy. A method that works with links between reference and note-body in PDFs. Is there some way to achieve this?

3 minutes ago, tatanka said:

Oh, and by the by: I’m not getting notifications on this thread even though 'Following' is turned on.

You only Followed this topic 4 minutes ago (as I type this), according to the information I can see.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 12/9/2022 at 6:16 PM, MikeTO said:

But how did you create note references with "3,27"?

Bonne question. C'est une fonctionnalité intéressante de pour voir rappeler une référence de note voire de faire une renvoi vers une autre note dans une note.

Good question. It's an interesting feature to be able to recall a note reference or even to make a reference to another note in a note.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

10 minutes ago, uneMule said:

Bonne question. C'est une fonctionnalité intéressante de pour voir rappeler une référence de note voire de faire une renvoi vers une autre note dans une note.

Good question. It's an interesting feature to be able to recall a note reference or even to make a reference to another note in a note.

No, this is not about "referencing another note in a note". This is about referencing a numbered note-body, with a given reference number, more times in the body copy. Basic stuff this.

2 minutes ago, tatanka said:

No, this is not about "referencing another note in a note. This is about referencing a numbered note-body, with a given reference number, more times in the body copy. Basic stuff this.

C'est juste un écho à l'interrogation de MikeTo, pas un détournement de la question.

This is just an echo of MikeTo's question, not a diversion of the question.

Toujours pas !
Windows 10 Pro 21H2 - Intel Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz - 16 Gb Ram - GeForce GT 650M - Intel HD 4000
Affinity Photo | Affinity Designer | Affinity Publisher | 2

23 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

You only Followed this topic 4 minutes ago (as I type this), according to the information I can see.

I think I figured this one out: I was by default notified with emails. That got real long in the tooth, so I found the notification settings and turned the emails off. Now here’s the issue: If you look at the attached screenshot you can see that I am set to "Do not send me any notifications", but I am still "Following". Silly I thought that this – surely – would notifiy me in the bell icon here on the forum pages. It doesn’t. If I am never notified am I following? I would say no, so ponder that.

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 15.11.49.png

11 minutes ago, tatanka said:

And while we are at it, why can’t your forum software push notifications to Safari?

First, it's not "Serif's" forum software. It's made by Invision Community; Serif just uses it.

But second, I think it does, for me. I can't check right now, though. I do know for sure that it pushes notifications to Firefox.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

45 minutes ago, tatanka said:

I wrote the damn topic!

But that doesn't mean you necessarily Followed it at that time. Many users don't.

18 minutes ago, tatanka said:

I think I figured this one out: I was by default notified with emails. That got real long in the tooth, so I found the notification settings and turned the emails off. Now here’s the issue: If you look at the attached screenshot you can see that I am set to "Do not send me any notifications", but I am still "Following". Silly I thought that this – surely – would notifiy me in the bell icon here on the forum pages. It doesn’t. If I am never notified am I following? I would say no, so ponder that.

Thanks. Perhaps the timestamp I can see is when you changed that setting, not when you started Following it.

In all the topics I have set up like you showed, I am notified by the Bell icon, whether I use Firefox (desktop) or Safari (iPad).

-- Walt
PC:

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

In all the topics I have set up like you showed, I am notified by the Bell icon, whether I use Firefox (desktop) or Safari (iPad).

I just double checked my notifications (the bell icon pages), and this thread does not show up until today. Let me reiterate my question: Why does the forum system show me as "Following" and "Do not send me any notification", they are mutually exclusive, logically speaking.

Just now, tatanka said:

Why does the forum system show me as "Following" and "Do not send me any notification", they are mutually exclusive, logically speaking.

You may want to follow a topic and have emails sent daily, then you go on vacation and don't want the emails sent. You can just change to No Notifications for the two weeks or so. Easier than coming back and finding the topic and following it again.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

5 minutes ago, tatanka said:

Why does the forum system show me as "Following" and "Do not send me any notification", they are mutually exclusive, logically speaking.

No, they're not. Following gets you the Bell notifications. Sending email gets you the email notifications, in addition to the Bell.

-- Walt
PC:

FWIW I get forum notifications in Safari if I have the forum open.

Okay back on topic here.🙂 You typed 3, before note reference 27. Publisher knows not to break the line between a note reference and the preceding character but it will break a line between the period and 3 if you type them manually. There's nothing wrong with Publisher doing that and it doesn't know you're typing a manual note reference.

image.thumb.png.d78d890e69565a0a14e43bdd7bbd6f29.png

The easiest way to stop Publisher from breaking the line here is to select the period and 3 (you can select more characters if you want) and choose Character > Positioning and Transform > No Break.

Alternatively, place your cursor between the two characters and type U+2060, select those characters, and choose Text > Toggle Unicode - this will insert a Word Joiner, a zero-width character that prevents lines from breaking at this spot. You can see the hidden character with Show Special Characters.

Cheers

5 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

Alternatively, place your cursor between the two characters and type U+2060, select those characters, and choose Text > Toggle Unicode

FYI: you don't need to Select the characters. Just leave the cursor in position after the last 0.

-- Walt
PC:

25 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

No, they're not. Following gets you the Bell notifications. Sending email gets you the email notifications, in addition to the Bell.

Walt, when I click my bell icon (which I assume lists all the notification I have ever had), then there are no entries for the this thread until I turned it on today. The thread have been set to "Following" since I started it.

13 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

FWIW I get forum notifications in Safari if I have the forum open.

Okay back on topic here.🙂 You typed 3, before note reference 27. Publisher knows not to break the line between a note reference and the preceding character but it will break a line between the period and 3 if you type them manually. There's nothing wrong with Publisher doing that and it doesn't know you're typing a manual note reference.

image.thumb.png.d78d890e69565a0a14e43bdd7bbd6f29.png

The easiest way to stop Publisher from breaking the line here is to select the period and 3 (you can select more characters if you want) and choose Character > Positioning and Transform > No Break.

Alternatively, place your cursor between the two characters and type U+2060, select those characters, and choose Text > Toggle Unicode - this will insert a Word Joiner, a zero-width character that prevents lines from breaking at this spot. You can see the hidden character with Show Special Characters.

Cheers

I know all about ZWNJ et al. Also what I did to remedy it. Since no keep-with option is forthcoming, I am led to the next issue: How can I copy a note-reference and re-use it later in the document? I far as I can see there is no way to do this (other than to enter it manually and style it the same as the note-refences, in which case the links to the not-body will be missing).

5 minutes ago, tatanka said:

I know all about ZWNJ et al. Also what I did to remedy it. Since no keep-with option is forthcoming, I am led to the next issue: How can I copy a note-reference and re-use it later in the document? I far as I can see there is no way to do this (other than to enter it manually and style it the same as the note-refences, in which case the links to the not-body will be missing).

There is no feature to do this AFAIK. It would be very cool if you could reference an existing note but we don't have cross references yet and I certainly hope cross references are higher priority.

53 minutes ago, tatanka said:

The thread have been set to "Following" since I started it.

If there's nothing showing up in the Bell, I suspect you were not Following it from the beginning. But as far as I know there's no way to tell for sure. Do it will probably remain an unsolved mystery.

-- Walt
PC: