You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Disgruntled purchaser.

If the original claim was about the price of the upgrade, it's clear that this was just a red herring.

The real reason is not to have realized the gulf of difference between the free software Gimp, InkScape, and probably Scribus and LibreOffice compared to Affinity Suite version 1 and Microsoft Office 2021.

Therefore, it seems ridiculous to me, Hanay, to want to upgrade to version 2 despite the many improvements to existing features and the unheard of amount of new features.

You will never get your money's worth, unlike a free solution...

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Near as I can tell, the OP is disgruntled because the money spent was within the prior 6 months, yet they're not being offered an upgrade discount, consequently... wondering why is that?

All the OP's subsequent responses to subsequent challenges to their disgruntlement (which fail to address the question) are compromised by the need to defend and justify a feeling... which nobody should ever need to do outside of professional counselling.

Near as I can tell... none of us are likely qualified to provide an answer to a question about why, other than suppositions, guesses and speculations.

I'll make one: I think Serif considers 3 months prior purchases to be the window of prior purchase sufficiently deserving of a free upgrade and enough time to prevent significant amounts of disgruntlement. and that they're willing to deal with the few that purchased in the 3 to 12 month window that might feel disgruntled to have missed out on a discounted (or free) upgrade offer.

To the OP, I'm sorry you've had to experience this, and tend to agree. If I'd bought in the last 6 months, but further back than 3 months, ago, I'd be a little disgruntled, too. And I very nearly did rebuy during this window... 

Back in 2017, I bought two licenses, since then I have been using programs very actively. I even convinced a dozen or even more comrades to do the same, which they did. He actively promoted the product, praised it in front of other people, filmed a video with a lesson. Until this autumn... The company put the false policy <moderated> above the interests of its users (clients). Thanks for the heartbreak. From Russia with love

For all those "disgruntled" Affinity users who prefer Inkscape, Gimp, LibreOffice over Affinity. What is your problem to switch? If those applications are so much better, what kept you from switching and using them instead?

On the other hand, people could use their time wasted on being disgruntled, to use their creativity to earn money. Even when you bought V1 without discount six months  ago, it could already paid itself back together with the V2 discount.

I also  do disagree with the remarks that Affinity V1 is unusable because of the many bugs. Every application has its bugs. So it is the person who use an application to report them and find workarounds in the meantime of a solution. With Serif, there is a 30-day money back guarantee. When V1 in your opinion is so bad, why did you not asked for a refund?

Pure Graphics, based in Nigeria, delivered his first v2 tutorial almost the same day of the release. The same is true for Ally Anderson of Affinity Revolution, she already has her Photo 2 and Designer 2 Teachable course up and running, Publisher 2 is in the pipeline. I am also using (mostly) Designer 2 for drawing slides, and Photo 2 to retouch photographs for an online course. We already have working experience with the V2 Affinity suite and with every project, we gain more knowledge and experience. Myself, I am still using the boolean operators instead of the Shape Builder tool because I find it easier and a better method. My Pure Graphics colleague likes the Shape Builder much better. The key of success is to use those tools and features you are comfortable with and let you make the job done!

I also have a Canva Pro subscription, however, in the end, I am using Affinity because it let me do what I like to do, in a way I want to do.

Positivity is so much stronger than negativity!

Chris

24 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

For all those "disgruntled" Affinity users who prefer Inkscape, Gimp, LibreOffice over Affinity. What is your problem to switch? If those applications are so much better, what kept you from switching and using them instead?

On the other hand, people could use their time wasted on being disgruntled, to use their creativity to earn money. Even when you bought V1 without discount six months  ago, it could already paid itself back together with the V2 discount.

I also  do disagree with the remarks that Affinity V1 is unusable because of the many bugs. Every application has its bugs. So it is the person who use an application to report them and find workarounds in the meantime of a solution. With Serif, there is a 30-day money back guarantee. When V1 in your opinion is so bad, why did you not asked for a refund?

Pure Graphics, based in Nigeria, delivered his first v2 tutorial almost the same day of the release. The same is true for Ally Anderson of Affinity Revolution, she already has her Photo 2 and Designer 2 Teachable course up and running, Publisher 2 is in the pipeline. I am also using (mostly) Designer 2 for drawing slides, and Photo 2 to retouch photographs for an online course. We already have working experience with the V2 Affinity suite and with every project, we gain more knowledge and experience. Myself, I am still using the boolean operators instead of the Shape Builder tool because I find it easier and a better method. My Pure Graphics colleague likes the Shape Builder much better. The key of success is to use those tools and features you are comfortable with and let you make the job done!

I also have a Canva Pro subscription, however, in the end, I am using Affinity because it let me do what I like to do, in a way I want to do.

Chris

Wrong, you are so wrong. What makes you think everyone earns money if they/we own a license of v1? And what makes you think everyone have opinion that other software is better?

1. Buying a license doesn't always mean that buyer earn with licensed software, sometimes it's just to support developer. 

2. Other software was mentioned as an example what other do (at least in my example). 

3(my second 2 cents). Serif team already announced here somewhere it might get yearly upgrade, so what will new v2 users think then? It will be same as most v1 users think now. So just a quick money maker, old buyers doesn't matter to company. 

Edited by DenisJ

@DenisJ

I did not say that everyone has the opinion that other software is better. What I meant is, those disgruntled users who make claims of Gimp, Inkscape and LibreOffice are better, what keeps them of switching? I do not want to put words in someone  else mouth.

You are also correct that not everyone buying a licenses earn money with it. Among those licenseholders, there will be people who just use it as a hobby, nothing wrong with that. I have a Scirra Construct 3 subscription of 100 euro/year which I only use as a hobby in my free time. That only cost me yearly, but it is a nice hobby for me, so it is worth that 100 euro I have to spend each year to keep using it.

When there is another paid upgrade from v2 to v3, I will buy it without complaining. I want to point out that like Pure Graphics, we are a Botswana (Africa) based business. Like Nigeria, Botswana is also a developing country with bad Internet, electricity cuts and difficult digital structure. As long as those paid upgrades makes our digital life easier, I will buy them.

Why do you  think old buyers do not matter to Serif? If in your opinion Serif is a quick money maker, what to say about Adobe subscription which cost you every month 24 dollars. Once you stop paying, you can no longer usel the Adobe software. If you bought the Universal License, you win after 4 months. You win even more because you receive Designer, Photo and Publisher both for Desktop and iPad. For Adobe that is only for one application. Within the Affinity space, you are free to upgrade or not because, you can remain using the version you paid for after a new upgrade. Try that with Adobe!

Chris

On 12/10/2022 at 8:56 AM, DenisJ said:

Serif team already announced here somewhere it might get yearly upgrade,

I have not seen that. In fact, here is a quote from Serif's Managing Director (with my emphasis) 

Updates to V2 moving forward

Buying V2 not only gets you all the new features you have seen, but we have various updates planned – including many more new features and improvements – which you will get for free. This will continue until such a time that V3 is released. We’re not sure exactly when V3 will be, but I can confirm we are not going to move to anything as regular as an annual upgrade cycle as has been speculated.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 hours ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Chris

lmao, blahblahblahblahblahblah. 

18 hours ago, DenisJ said:

watch how Blackmagic is doing with Davinci Resolve.

Blackmagic sells hardware for (tens of) thousands of dollars. That is were their money comes from.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, deeds said:

Near as I can tell, the OP is disgruntled because the money spent was within the prior 6 months, yet they're not being offered an upgrade discount, consequently... wondering why is that?

I think the OP is disgruntled because the discount is the same, limited time one available to new first time users, not that there is no discount at all. So just guessing, I think the OP wants for V1 owners who bought in the last 6 months or less, either a deeper discount or for the current one not to be a limited time offer, or possibly both.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 12/9/2022 at 1:43 AM, ahnay said:

I purchased the set in june i believe and now informed you have a new version, costing the same price.  And you dont offer us a discount for people that just purchased it, why?  

Your 2 purchases in late May do not qualify you for further discount, sorry, but you could try emailing AffinityOrders@serif.com and seeing if they are feeling generous.

59 minutes ago, ahnay said:

lmao, blahblahblahblahblahblah. 

This is not an appropriate way to post here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

45 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Blackmagic sells hardware for (tens of) thousands of dollars. That is were their money comes from.

Yet they sell way more licenses then hardware. And my point was the price and logic of software, not hardware. Any company can make their piece of hardware if that's the case.

Im out of this conversation, Affinity Photo became useless to me from first time I posted on forum where I found that I can't use same license on two different OS. So yea, Serif is just money grabbing company, nothing less or more. 

4 minutes ago, DenisJ said:

So yea, Serif is just money grabbing company, nothing less or more. 

Like thousands of other commercial software companies, Serif charges for its products. There is nothing wrong with that.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

21 minutes ago, DenisJ said:

Affinity Photo became useless to me from first time I posted on forum where I found that I can't use same license on two different OS. So yea, Serif is just money grabbing company, nothing less or more. 

Now (with V2) you can use a license on 2 different OSes. 3, even.

So another way of looking at it is: Serif as a company listened to its users, and changed the way they do business.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, R C-R said:

I think the OP is disgruntled because the discount is the same, limited time one available to new first time users, not that there is no discount at all. So just guessing, I think the OP wants for V1 owners who bought in the last 6 months or less, either a deeper discount or for the current one not to be a limited time offer, or possibly both.

I seem to remember somewhere in the details of a post here by staff suggesting it's not possible to support that far back as far as responding to upgrade inquiries that didn't come with the email notifications. Which why it's 90 days and not longer. I couldn't find the post when searching.