You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New clearer icons for stroke properties (cap, join, align)

Do you want to know why the icons for cap, join, and align were bad in v2 and why users were complaining about them? Because your using "outlined" icons. Icons that are designed as only strokes. Please dont. Dont use these stroke icons. Outlined icons are like half baked icons. They dont translate to the user. Theyre hard to identify. A great example is the folder icon button in the layer studio. What even is that? So many users didnt even know it was a folder. If you just put fully filled in icons it will work. Turning the cap, join, and align icons into fully filled icons works! Im so happy you made this change. I can now identify these icons. Thank you.

Since we're on the topic of outline icons, the trash icon at the bottom left corner of the UI needs to be changed to a filled in trash can icon and the folder and trash icon in the layers studio needs to be changed as well. Just do it how it was in v1. Go back to v1 and look at the trash icon. Its filled it. Easy to identify. No outlines. Just a simple filled in icon. And for the folder icon, just use a filled in folder icon. Its simple. None of these biohazard outlined stroke icons. They dont work. And then you have all these icons in 2 different styles. One filled and the other outlined and the app now has 2 styles of icons and it gets to the point where the app doesnt look appealing design wise because of all these icon styles. Just look at the icons for the buttons in the layer studio. That top row of buttons have outlined icons. And then look at the icons around them. theyre all filled in and you can see the 2 styles of icons. 

14 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

why the icons for cap, join, and align were bad in v2 and why users were complaining about them?

Can you point me to any user other than you who is complaining about those particular icons?

I'm looking at them both on my Mac and on my iPad and I'm not sure how they could be made any more clear.

Can you give an example of icons for this purpose that are more clear and of a similar size?

Looking at the ones from the v1 apps, the only difference I see is the bit of color in the v1 icons for this, which does fill some things in, but at these small sizes I actually find the v2 icons to be more clear, not less, as the blue fill is a bit more distracting when trying to interpret what the icons are there to indicate.

14 hours ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

Go back to v1 and look at the trash icon. Its filled it. Easy to identify. No outlines.

On the layers panel on the desktop app, the new one looks more clear to me, perhaps just because it is slightly larger?

On the v1 app on the iPad I can imagine the trash icon in the layers panel being mistaken for a glue bottle, but the v2 icon doesn't give me that impression at all.

I need to disagree here.

Several CUSTOMERS pointed out that the interface in v2 is hard to decipher - these particular icons and other issues were therefore (partly) fixed BY SERIF immediately in the first beta (available now):

The feedback is for Serif, not meant for "I think" replies/attacks, see the response from Serif here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/175852-old-v1-users-being-asked-to-pay-exactly-the-same-for-v2-new-users-not-cool/&do=findComment&comment=1011763

I too had enough of immature fundamentalist replies from random forum members when Serif customers with valid points and feedback for Serif post in here.

This misguided loyalty belongs to the 1930s. After 4.4K replies I think you should start listening instead of posting like a bot.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

2 hours ago, fde101 said:

Can you point me to any user other than you who is complaining about those particular icons?

Theres a whole forum post here on the forums with users complaining about it. I dont want to look for it right now. Too many posts. 

Can you give an example of icons for this purpose that are more clear and of a similar size?

The same icons that they just put in the beta version of AD v2 for ipad

Looking at the ones from the v1 apps, the only difference I see is the bit of color in the v1 icons for this, which does fill some things in, but at these small sizes I actually find the v2 icons to be more clear, not less, as the blue fill is a bit more distracting when trying to interpret what the icons are there to indicate.

The only difference was the added blue in v1. Those icons needed to change anyways.

for a glue bottle

no ones mistaking the trash can icon for a glue bottle but you.

3 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

@François R thank you for finding the forum post for fde101. i appreciate it

You're welcome. Have a great weekend. 🙂

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

17 minutes ago, François R said:

Several CUSTOMERS pointed out that the interface in v2 is hard to decipher

Thanks, I hadn't seen that thread, and I did perform a search after seeing this one to see what others were saying but that one did not come up in the results when I searched.

To be clear, I was asking because I was trying to gauge the problem.  The v2 icons (the initial ones as I have not seen that iPad beta) do look more clear to me than the v1 icons, and I personally don't have any issues with understanding them, but the ones in that other thread which I believe are being shown to be the new ones do look even better, and I am certainly not against improvements being made.  As others have clearly had problems with them it is not a bad thing to get them fixed.

That said, the existence of this thread if created with knowledge of the first one then becomes a duplicate, and the commentary really should have been added to the first one rather than a new thread being created for it.

16 minutes ago, MoonaticDestiny said:

no ones mistaking the trash can icon for a glue bottle but you.

I was not mistaking it for a glue bottle, and I would expect that most people would gather from context that it was a trash can.  My point was that if you were to see it in isolation it would be rather less clear, but that mistake would be harder to make with the new one.