You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

The command controller still stays on

So the issue with the command controller wasn't the placement of the white toggle on/off button at the bottom left corner. It was fine there. The issue was that even if you turned it off, exited the app, and came back to your document the command controller would still be on. So it would be on even after you turned it off. THAT was the issue. 

So now here in the beta, the white command controller button at the left bottom corner is no more. Its now been put in the document hamburger menu. Which is wrong and Ill tell you why in a bit but putting it there still doesnt solve the problem because even after toggling off the command control through the document hamburger menu it still stays on when I return back to my document.

So the command controller issue has NOT been fixed. When the user toggles it off, it needs to stay off. It shouldnt turn on when we return. So the developers need to code it so that when the command controller is turned off, its stays off completely. Unless the user turns it on. This applies for every new document a user creates. It must stay off if they toggle it off. It stays on when they toggle it on. Im debating now if this should just be a setting in the preferences that you can toggle on/off and not in the document hamburger menu. Kind of like the undo/redo toggle on/off preference. You guys decide.

So! The issue with putting the command controller button in the document hamburger menu is youve now made it harder for users to get to it. It was fine at the bottom left corner of the UI because users could toggle it on and off with 1 tap. Now users have to go to the document hamburger menu, tap it, go to the toggle command controller button, tap it, and now its taken 2 taps just to get to it when 1 tap was better. Its not quick anymore and youre all about being quick. 1 tap is good. More taps is bad. So it was better at the bottom left corner because it took users 1 tap to get to and 1 tap is good. But im not sure if this even matters if youre going to put this toggle command controller setting in the preferences.  

1.) So thats why putting the toggle command controller button in the document hamburger menu is bad

2) the issue of turning the command controller off still hasnt been fixed becausse it still stays on.

3) I need serif to debate if this command controller setting should just be a setting in the preferences and not in the document button.

2 hours ago, MEB said:

The toggle command controller button was moved to the menu because it's something you don't need to use constantly. Usually you either want it ON or OFF.

Exactly. I never wanted to see if on the UI. I wanted yall to remove it but I didnt say that because there are other users who use it. I dont use it and its something I wouldnt use constantly. I like that youve hidden it in the hamburger menu. I dont want to see it. I was just referencing v2 because thats how it currently is and I was just going by the UI placement of the command controller in v2. 

13 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi @MoonaticDestiny,
The toggle command controller button was moved to the menu because it's something you don't need to use constantly. Usually you either want it ON or OFF. The toggle command controller will be made sticky in an upcoming build (so it will remember your choice). Thanks for your feedback.

Should the command be called SHOW/HIDE Command Controller instead of TOGGLE Command Controller? We never use Toggle in the UI language, and Show/Hide are more universally understood terms….

2021 16” Macbook Pro w/ M1 Max 10c cpu /24c gpu, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Sonoma 14.4.1

2018 11" iPad Pro w/ A12X cpu/gpu, 256 GB, iPadOS 17

3 hours ago, ronnyb said:

Should the command be called SHOW/HIDE Command Controller instead of TOGGLE Command Controller? We never use Toggle in the UI language, and Show/Hide are more universally understood terms….

Try searching for toggle in the iPad Help. Also, it's used in a number of places on the Desktop UI.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.