You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't get page numbering to work correctly

Hello, I am using Publisher v2 on Windows to create a book layout. I have created a "book" in Publisher and added a front matter section followed by chapters. The front matter chapter comes first and is 9 pages long. It won't have any page numbers shown. I want the numbering to start on the first page of chapter 1, which is #9. 
No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the numbering on the bottom of page 9 to start at 1. I clicked on the Front Matter chapter and opened section manager, made the section "Front Matter" and set it to start on page 1 and use small Roman numerals. Then I went to chapter 1, opened section manager and made a "Story" section and had it start on page 9. It shows 1-32 and 9-40 on the section manager.
However, the page numbers at the bottom of the page still start at 9.
Images attached. Thanks for any help.

Screenshot_20221207_081709.png

Screenshot 2022-12-07 202327.jpg

Hi, what you do to the front matter chapter isn't relevant to chapter 1 since the page numbering is restarting.

With chapter 2, set it to start numbering at 1 instead of 9 and all should be fine. I've tested this with books and it works well.

Good luck!

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

9 hours ago, MikeTO said:

Hi, what you do to the front matter chapter isn't relevant to chapter 1 since the page numbering is restarting.

With chapter 2, set it to start numbering at 1 instead of 9 and all should be fine. I've tested this with books and it works well.

Good luck!

That is what I was trying to do.
Oddly enough, I just opened the same file in Publisher on a different pc and this time when I did the same steps, it updated the page numbers to be correct.

I wonder if there is an issue with my install on my main system? I have also had strange issues where it will tell me that there is a recovery file and opens the chapter in a read only mode, even though there doesn't seem to be any issue.

I'm glad you got it working. Page numbering is a basic feature so I strongly doubt that anything in the install could cause an issue like this. I'd give it another try on the same PC.

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)