You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Limit to the Number of PDF Files that can be Opened Simultaneously from the Finder in Publisher and Designer

Hangman

Select any more than three files PDF files in the Finder, Right Click and choose Open With and select either Affinity Publisher or Designer and both apps will only ever open three of the selected PDFs.

Note: If you already have one or more Publisher Files open then using this method will only allow you to open two PDF files...

This is not an Issue in Affinity Photo or the V1 apps...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Thanks @Old Bruce, happens consistently in Monterey with both Publsiher and Designer... Will be interesting to see if it also happens in Ventura...

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2402) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2402)

• 4 weeks later...

@EmT, That's perfect, thank you...

It appears to be specific to having or having had a Publisher, Designeror Photo Document open, i.e., if you launch either Publisher, Designer or Photo and then attempt to open say six pdf files, all six will open, however, if you already have a Publisher, Designer or Photo document open or if you've had one open but then close it and then attempt to open the same six pdf files, it's only then that Publisher, Designer and Photo will only open three or the six of the pdf files...

Note: See post below for step by step instructions on how to replicate this.

Hi @EmT,

No, I'm afraid the issue still exists in 2.0.3 and across all three apps but there is a very distinct pattern...

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open Designer, Photo or Publisher 2.0.3
  2. Create a New Document (you can leave it blank)
  3. Go to Finder and select a series of pdf files
  4. Right click, select Open With and select either of the three 2.0.3 apps

Results with One Affinity Document Open

• One pdf selected - one pdf opens
  • Two pdf's selected - one pdf opens
  • Three pdf's selected - two pdf's open
  • Four pdf's selected - two pdf's open
  • Five pdf's selected - three pdf's open
  • Six pdf's selected - three pdf's open
  • Seven pdf's selected - four pdf's open
  • Eight pdf's selected - four pdf's open
  • Nine pdf's selected - five pdf's open
  • Ten pdf's selected - five pdf's open
  • Eleven pdf's selected - six pdf's open
  • Twelve pdf's selected - six pdf's open

So basically there is a rounded down division by two, based on the number of pdf files selected...

Notes

1. When opening the pdf's, the PDF Options window only appears one more time than the number of pdf's actually opened.

2. If I have pdf files called File_01.pdf, File_02.pdf, File_03.pdf and so on, only the odd numbered pdf files are opened.

3. After opening the number of pdf files shown in the results above I can reselect the missing pdf files and attempt to open these whilst the others are still open but again only a limited number will open in one go based on the Results shown above.

Example

1. I have twelve pdf files called File_01.pdf through to File_12.pdf, I create a blank New Document in any app, I select all twelve pdf files, right click and select Open With and select any of the 2.0.3 apps and only six odd numbered pdf files open.

2. Go back to the finder and reselect only the even numbered pdf files, i.e., File_02.pdf, File_04.pdf, File_06.pdf and so on and only three of them will open in addition to the already odd numbered pdf's previously opened, in my case File_02.pdf, File_06.pdf, File_10.pdf are opened, in keeping with the Results shown above.

3. Reselect the three missing pdf files, i.e., File_04.pdf, File_08.pdf, File_012.pdf and only two of them are opened in keeping with the Results shown above, File_04.pdf, File_012.pdf.

4. Finally select the now one missing file, i.e., File_08.pdf and it opens giving you the full set.

@EmT, perfect, thank you...