You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can't connect Affinity Photo 2 with any other Software on Windows 10 Home

Hi Affinity Developers 

How can I connect Affinity Photo 2 with e.g. Bridge as external editor?

This is a mega serious issue on Windows 10 Home. On a Mac no problem, I tried to help a friend being on Windows 10 Home.

For normal users having no clue of %ProgramData% etc. it's literally impossible go find the Exe File.

Even I had serious problem until I found it, but I could not connect it to any other softwere, there were always strange error messages.

Even the solution provided in 

does not help. It just does not work.

The local windows user is a Standard user and has no admin right. And this is good like so. %ProgramData% has some hardcore access restrictions and that is also good like so. Changing here anything may ugly mess up the Windows 10 system.

The provided solutions also expect Windows system admin skills and admin rights of the user, please forget solutions like that. It is a total design flaw in Affinity Photo 2. Please change that immediately, thanks.

Q: Is it really necessary to mess with customers like so? Why the heck is the exe not located on the same place like Affinity Photo 1 is?

That's really bad.

Best regards,
Roland

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

18 hours ago, rvst said:

See the latest post in that thread from Patrick

Hi @rvst thanks for your reply.

CC to @MEB, I address also you, because we already were often in contact, each time successfully, maybe you can forward my hints and thoughts below to the those who are responsible decision makers at Serif.

For your convenience: I myself am a Mac user, but I am also experienced Windows user (and Solaris, AIX and Linux) helping a friend of mine. My first Affinity purchases (Photo, Designer and Publisher) were from the Mac AppStore, which acquires to run apps sandboxed. The trade-off: none of 3rd party plugins, usually for Photoshop, such as Topaz DeNoise AI, do NOT run with the sandbox Mac AppStore versions and for that I purchased all of the Affinity apps (V1) from the Serif store additionally (1).

Now, Serif/Affinity comes up with that sandboxed BS thing for Windows, making everything worse. I can't understand it.

(1) Totally OK to me, the price of Affinity products is in comparison to Adobe definitely no deal breaker, and it's purchase instead of subscription (what a nice word for "you will never own it"). I am often offline, so the subscription model is totally no go, Murphy's law works fine, they always want to check the Adobe servers if you are a valid customer when you are offline and for that you can't use them as long as you're offline. That's why I immediately purchased also the Universal License for the V2 versions.

Affinity has yet unfortunately no own DAM (Digital Asset Managment) solution, Lr and LrC can't be used without valid Adobe subscription but you can use Bridge as DAM (without being able to use ACR), it even shows there are .afphoto files (without displaying the content). Lr, LrC and also C1 does not, they natively support only .PSD. TIFF is no solution, because you get rid of all advantages of the .afphoto file format, it is definitelty the best available, lightyears ahead of everything else. That's why I can't understand, it is still not supported by Capture One. C1 has in comparison to LrC, Lr and Bridge a superb development engine but a horrible content managment, however the possibility to purchase it would outweigh that - if it only would support .afphoto, but it does not and that's the deal breaker for C1. DxO's PhotoLab 6 also is not aware of .afphoto files and it is sloooooow.

If someone can recommend a fast DAM solution flipping as fast throughout raw files like Photo Mechanics (what has unfortunately no developing engine) does, please feel free to recommend.

Let's home Serif comes up with an own DAM solution soon.

All the best,
Roland

Roland Rick

Roland Rick Photography
Pipobike Mountainbike Guide and Driving Instructor

iMac 27 5K Retina (Late 2013), MBP 15" Retina (Something 2013), MBP13" Retina (Early 2015)

On 12/6/2022 at 6:47 AM, Roland Rick said:

It just does not work.

The aflaunch.exe approach mentioned in the 2nd post of that FAQ should work for you, Roland. When you tried it, what happened?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1